How Do I Integrate the Last Part of This Arc Length Equation?

In summary, the person is working on a problem and found an equation. They are not sure how to integrate the last part, but they believe it is easy. They found an online applet to integrate the equation.
chaotixmonjuish
I'm working on this problem

x^5/6+1/(10x^3) [1,2]

and I got the equation:

sqrt(1+(5x^4/6-3/10^4)^2) or
sqrt(1+25x^8/36+9/100x^8-1/2)

I'm not sure how to integrate the last part, is there some sort of obvious substitution I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the equation you get
[tex]\sqrt{1+ \frac{25 x^8}{36} + \frac{9}{100}x^8-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
If so, it's easy to integrate (just collect polynomials and integrate term by term.
If not, please be a little more clear (use TeX if possible, or else at least put brackets when writing things like a/bc, which can be read as (a/b)*c or a/(b*c)).

CompuChip, that's clearly not what is intended because he did use parentheses to indicat that the x3 in the original function was in the denominator.

Let's check: y= x5/6+ 1/(10x3)= x5/6+ (1/10)x-3 has derivative y= (5/6)x4- (3/10)x-4. Squaring that, (y')2= (25/36)x8- 2(5/6)(3/10)+ (9/100)x-8= (25/36)x8- (1/2)= (9/100)x-8. Adding 1 to that just changes the "-1/2" to "+1/2" and since the first was a square, this is also a square with the sign changed: (a- b)2= a2- 2ab+ b2 while (a+b)= a2+ 2ab+ b2: 1+ (y')2= (25/36)x8+ (1/2)+ (9/100)x-8= [(5/6)x4+ (3/10)x-4]2 and so [itex]\sqrt{1+ (y')^2}= \sqrt{[(5/6)x^4+ (3/10)x^{-4}]^2}= (5/6)x^4+ (3/10)x^{-4}[/itex].
That should be easy to integrate.

(Tip: in general length integrals are very difficult. That's why calculus professors (who are not actually monsters) like tricks like the above that ensure the integral will be easy. It's a good idea to always check to see if you have a "perfect square"!)

But that doesn't answer his question, does it?

Yes it doesn't answer for integral to be found. Yet I thought he may want to know the length of the curve

What is the Quick Arc Length Equation?

The Quick Arc Length Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the distance along a curved line, also known as the arc length. It takes into account the radius of the curve and the angle subtended by the arc.

How is the Quick Arc Length Equation derived?

The Quick Arc Length Equation is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By applying this theorem to infinitesimally small sections of a curve, we can derive the formula for calculating arc length.

What are the variables used in the Quick Arc Length Equation?

The variables used in the Quick Arc Length Equation are the radius of the curve (r) and the central angle subtended by the arc (θ). The arc length (s) is the output of the equation.

Can the Quick Arc Length Equation be used for any type of curve?

No, the Quick Arc Length Equation is specifically designed for circular curves. Other types of curves, such as parabolic or elliptical curves, have their own equations for calculating arc length.

How accurate is the Quick Arc Length Equation?

The Quick Arc Length Equation is an approximation and therefore, its accuracy may depend on the length of the curve and the precision of the input values. For longer curves and more precise measurements, other methods such as numerical integration may be more accurate.