Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion (thermodynamics)

In summary, to find the work in this problem, you will need to use the ideal gas law to find the volume at each point. Once you have the volumes, you can use the equations provided to calculate the work. Keep in mind that the ideal gas law is given by PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.
snoitcelfer

Homework Statement

attached as pdf (problem 1) (part b)

Homework Equations

w=p2v2-p1v1 / n-1
w=mR(T2-T1) / 1-n

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to determine the pressure and temperatures at all points, but to find the work i appear to need the volume, I also looked at w=h2-h1 but I am not sure how that would work with air.
I appear to be overlooking something vital which woudl help me move on and would be very greatful if someone could point me towards it.

Attachments

• plugin-Homework.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question. It seems like you have made good progress in determining the pressure and temperatures at all points. To find the work, you are correct that you also need the volume. In this case, you can use the ideal gas law to help you find the volume. The ideal gas law is given by:

PV = nRT

where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

You can rearrange this equation to solve for volume:

V = nRT/P

Now, you can use this equation to find the volumes at each point in your problem. Once you have the volumes, you can use the equations you listed (w=p2v2-p1v1 / n-1 and w=mR(T2-T1) / 1-n) to find the work.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion?

The Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the operation of an ideal spark-ignition engine. It consists of four processes: isentropic compression, constant-volume heat addition, isentropic expansion, and constant-volume heat rejection.

2. How does the Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion work?

In the first process, the air-fuel mixture is compressed adiabatically, which increases its temperature and pressure. Then, the mixture is ignited, causing a rapid increase in pressure and volume due to the combustion. This is followed by an isentropic expansion, which converts the thermal energy into mechanical work. Finally, the exhaust gases are expelled in the fourth process, completing the cycle.

3. What is the difference between isentropic and polytropic compression/expansion?

Isentropic compression/expansion refers to a process that occurs without any heat transfer or change in entropy. This means that the change in temperature is only due to the work done on or by the gas. On the other hand, polytropic compression/expansion takes into account the heat transfer and changes in entropy, resulting in a non-constant temperature change.

4. What are the main advantages of using the Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion?

The main advantage of the Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion is its high efficiency. The addition of the isentropic compression and expansion processes allows for a more complete combustion and better utilization of the thermal energy. Additionally, the constant-volume heat addition and rejection processes result in a smoother and more efficient power delivery.

5. How is the efficiency of the Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion improved?

The efficiency of the Otto cycle with polytropic compression and expansion can be increased by increasing the compression ratio, which leads to a higher peak temperature during combustion. Using higher octane fuel can also improve the efficiency by reducing the chances of pre-ignition and allowing for a higher compression ratio. Additionally, optimizing the timing of the combustion and exhaust processes can further improve the efficiency of the cycle.