Thermodynamic Cycles & Formulas: A Summary

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a website or book that contains a summary of the formulas and components for major thermodynamic cycles. The person is having difficulty remembering all the formulas and is looking for a comprehensive resource to help them. They mention their own research and difficulties in finding a specific solution for their needs.
ksukhin
This is not a homework question, but more of a information seeking question. I'm currently enrolled in Fundamentals of Thermodynamics where we studied many different cycles (Carnot, Rankine, Otto, Brayton, etc.) and their respective components (compressors, turbines, heat exchangers, pumps, etc.) in both ideal and actual cases.

MY QUESTION: Is there a website or a book that contains a summary of the cycles and formulas for each cycle/component?

I'm having a tough time remembering all the formulas for each component in each cycle. My prof DOES NOT provide a formula sheet, therefore I am forced to memorize them.

The way I picture it in my head is the cycles being listed and for each component there are formulas. For example,
Brayton cycle: (1) compressor > (2) combustion chamber > (3) turbine > (4) heat rejected
Compressor:
Work = Cp(T2-T1)
... etc.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Each of the major thermodynamic cycles (Otto, Diesel, Rankine, and Brayton) has its own Wikipedia page as well as many others. You simply put the name of the cycle into the search box and enjoy the hits.

It's not clear if your thermo course has a textbook. These are invaluable, because notes, formula sheets, etc. can get damaged, lost or misplaced over time, but it's much harder to destroy or lose a book.

SteamKing said:
Each of the major thermodynamic cycles (Otto, Diesel, Rankine, and Brayton) has its own Wikipedia page as well as many others. You simply put the name of the cycle into the search box and enjoy the hits.

It's not clear if your thermo course has a textbook. These are invaluable, becIause notes, formula sheets, etc. can get damaged, lost or misplaced over time, but it's much harder to destroy or lose a book.

Thanks for the quick reply! I've done a lot of research and it seems like I'm going to have to come up with my own formula sheet. I basically wanted a sheet with the majority of the formulas that are used so I don't have to look them up - that way I'll slowly start memorizing them.

I'm also having difficulty with PVT relationships with κ. I don't understand when I use (κ,κ-1, or κ-1/κ) and the order of the ratios (for example, T1/T2 = (V2/V1) ^ (κ-1) ). Any suggestions where I could find a good explanation on it?

I tried doing my research but I found that the more specific the problem is, the more difficult it is to find the exact solution you're looking for. It's mainly a bunch of general formulas and ideas that don't lead me to my answer.

SteamKing said:

It's not clear if your thermo course has a textbook. These are invaluable, because notes, formula sheets, etc. can get damaged, lost or misplaced over time, but it's much harder to destroy or lose a book.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for except for the components in the cycles... http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/physicsnet/Topics/Thermal/IdealGasProcessesTable.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the main components of a thermodynamic cycle?

The main components of a thermodynamic cycle include a working fluid, a heat source, a heat sink, and a mechanical device such as a turbine or piston.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics and how does it relate to thermodynamic cycles?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This law is fundamental to understanding how energy is transformed within a thermodynamic cycle.

3. What is the difference between an open and closed thermodynamic cycle?

An open thermodynamic cycle involves the transfer of mass into and out of the system, while a closed thermodynamic cycle does not. In an open cycle, the working fluid is continuously replaced, while in a closed cycle, the same working fluid is used repeatedly.

4. What is the Carnot cycle and why is it important in thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that is considered to be the most efficient possible for a heat engine operating between two temperature levels. It serves as a benchmark for determining the maximum efficiency of any real-world thermodynamic cycle.

5. How do you calculate the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle can be calculated by dividing the net work output by the total heat input. This is known as the thermal efficiency of the cycle and is an important factor in determining the overall performance of a thermodynamic system.