Help on Resistivity of Material Type of Question

In summary, the problem asks for the resistance of a 25 mm long cylindrical carbon resistor with a cross-sectional radius of 15·10-6 m. The formula for resistance is R = pL/A, where p is the resistivity of the material, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area. The resistivity for carbon is given as 3500 x 10^-8 ohm meters and the length is given as .025 m. The cross-sectional area is the area of a circle, which can be calculated using the given radius. By plugging in the values into the formula, the correct resistance value can be found.
The Vin

Homework Statement

You have a 25 mm long cylindrical carbon resistor, with a cross-section of radius 15·10-6 m.

What is its resistance?

Homework Equations

Resistance = pL/A where p is the resistivity of the material, L is the length, and A is the area(?).

Also, given is that the p for a carbon material is 3500 x 10^-8 ohm meters. And 25 mm = .025 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on this problem because I can't figure out what the A in the equation works out to be or refers to. I know it's an area, but what area? The area of a cylinder? The surface area? I'm not quite sure. I assumed A referred to the surface area of the cylinder, and given the length and cross sectional radius, I computed the surface area. But when I plugged in the formula (3500 x 10^-8) (.025 m)/ surface area of cylinder, the resistance value I got was incorrect.

I know this is a really nit picky question, but I'm going insane trying to figure out what the area refers to in this particular problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A is the cross sectional area of the wire. See here for more details.

cristo said:
A is the cross sectional area of the wire. See here for more details.

How do you compute that area though? The problem gives the radius and length of the wire, as well as the shape, but I'm not sure how to use that information to compute an area.

The Vin said:
How do you compute that area though? The problem gives the radius and length of the wire, as well as the shape, but I'm not sure how to use that information to compute an area.

You're told that the resistor is cylindrical, and so the cross section of this resistor is a circle with radius as given in the OP. How do you find the area of a circle?

What is resistivity and why is it important?

Resistivity is the measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is important because it helps us understand and predict how different materials will behave in an electrical circuit.

What factors affect the resistivity of a material?

The resistivity of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and physical structure. For example, materials with a high concentration of free electrons have lower resistivity, while materials with tightly bound electrons have higher resistivity. Increasing the temperature of a material also increases its resistivity, as it causes the atoms to vibrate more and disrupt the flow of electrons.

How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is typically measured using a device called a multimeter, which applies a small known voltage to the material and measures the resulting current. The resistivity can then be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I).

What are some common materials with high and low resistivity?

Metals such as copper and aluminum have low resistivity, making them good conductors of electricity. Insulating materials such as rubber and plastic have high resistivity and are used to prevent the flow of electricity. Semiconductor materials like silicon have moderate resistivity and are used in electronic devices.

How does resistivity relate to conductivity?

Resistivity and conductivity are inverse properties of each other. Conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity, and it is the inverse of resistivity. This means that materials with high resistivity have low conductivity, and vice versa.