Why can we never be certain of our scientific theories?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the uncertainty of scientific theories and the frustration of not being able to fully understand the deepest levels of the universe. The speakers discuss the role of empiricism and rationalism in science, and the idea that theories are only as good as they have been tested. They also touch on the fear that our understanding of reality may be incomplete or even false. The conversation ends with the realization that science is a tool for searching for truth, but it is not the end of the search.
Functor97
Why can we never be certain of our scientific theories? The reason i love mathematics and physics is that the rigorous knowledge they impart about reality or what lies beneath it. Yet the more physics I study, the more I realizes how very little we know. What is gravity? what is force? What is inertia? What is time? These type of questions continually nag away at the back of my mind. I have read a great deal of scientific philosophy (such as Popper, Quine, Putnam) and realize that we cannot determine what these things "are" without referring to our own perspective or analogy. I realize that science is empirical, but to me it seems that even empiricism has failings.

Assume we have two theories f(x) and g(x) and all our physics observations match both of these theories. Assume furthermore that f(x) and g(x) are mutually exclusive. How do we differentiate between which theory is true? I would assume that the search to differentiate between the two via experimental evidence will continue, but what if there is always two or more theories that may be correct?

This really irritates me, as science is my personal quest for knowledge and truth, but it seems to be providing only more questions. I enjoy answering questions, but, and i feel quite embarrassed to say this, I feel frustration knowing that i will never, can never know why or even how the universe works at the deepest levels. I shall die and fade into obscurity without ever achieving the sense of understanding i desire. Do any of the rest of you harbour similar thoughts or doubts? Is there any philosopher who deals with this issue in depth?

Physics news on Phys.org
It in Empiricism vs Rationalism and the Problem of Induction.
Go look them up - it's actually quite a deep question.

In a nutshell - we can come up with a general theory about nature which is completely internally consistent and logical and mathematically rigorous but this does not mean that it is true. To find out it is true, we have to go look at nature and test it.

If the test comes out negative then this is definite (barring mistakes - I'm simplifying here) and clear. But if it comes out positive then the theory has been confirmed for the specific circumstances of the test only. Someone cleverer may come up with a better test that checks for something different ... we cannot be sure that this will not happen. It only takes one such test to disprove the theory.

Get the idea?

In practice, all our physical theories are thought of as "models" which are only as good as they have been tested. The strength of a theory is proportional to the cleverness of the attempts to find fault with it.

We hope that, by stripping away the false ideas, we will approach a more and more accurate model for the Truth. We do not ever expect to get there. Though scientists, especially physicists, often appear arrogant, there is a basic humility that goes with this knowledge: the Universe always knows more than we do, and we are probably wrong about a great deal. We can take heart that we are less likely to be wrong in an unhelpful way :)

Science provides a toolbox to search for truth, but it is not the end of the search.

Simon Bridge said:
It in Empiricism vs Rationalism and the Problem of Induction.
Go look them up - it's actually quite a deep question.

In a nutshell - we can come up with a general theory about nature which is completely internally consistent and logical and mathematically rigorous but this does not mean that it is true. To find out it is true, we have to go look at nature and test it.

If the test comes out negative then this is definite (barring mistakes - I'm simplifying here) and clear. But if it comes out positive then the theory has been confirmed for the specific circumstances of the test only. Someone cleverer may come up with a better test that checks for something different ... we cannot be sure that this will not happen. It only takes one such test to disprove the theory.

Get the idea?

In practice, all our physical theories are thought of as "models" which are only as good as they have been tested. The strength of a theory is proportional to the cleverness of the attempts to find fault with it.

We hope that, by stripping away the false ideas, we will approach a more and more accurate model for the Truth. We do not ever expect to get there. Though scientists, especially physicists, often appear arrogant, there is a basic humility that goes with this knowledge: the Universe always knows more than we do, and we are probably wrong about a great deal. We can take heart that we are less likely to be wrong in an unhelpful way :)

Science provides a toolbox to search for truth, but it is not the end of the search.

Thanks for the prompt reply Simon.

I understand all of what you have said. I still believe that our science and mathematics is representative of a deeper truth, but i cannot prove this and that is my frustration. How would it be truth if i was basing it upon belief? I have a fear that our vision of reality is somehow a lie, that our mathematics and physics reveals nothing about underlying reality. I am unsure how to remove these doubts.
Thanks, Functor97.

Functor97 said:
I understand all of what you have said. I still believe that our science and mathematics is representative of a deeper truth, but i cannot prove this and that is my frustration. How would it be truth if i was basing it upon belief? I have a fear that our vision of reality is somehow a lie, that our mathematics and physics reveals nothing about underlying reality. I am unsure how to remove these doubts.
Thanks, Functor97.
Science does not attempt to "prove" anything, or find "truth". It only attempts to examine what we see and model it.

Truth is something left for religion. If any scientist ever thought he had "the truth", he would be (rightly) branded a crackpot and ostracized. That is not the scientific way.

DaveC426913 said:
Science does not attempt to "prove" anything, or find "truth". It only attempts to examine what we see and model it.

Truth is something left for religion. If any scientist ever thought he had "the truth", he would be (rightly) branded a crackpot and ostracized. That is not the scientific way.

So you would deny that according to experimental data it is true that the speed of light is constant in all intertial frames of reference?

We can be certain. We just have to quantify that certainty.

Functor97 said:
So you would deny that according to experimental data it is true that the speed of light is constant in all intertial frames of reference?

It is certainly not true.

The constancy of c is a postulate.

i.e.:

Suppose we take it that c is constant in every inertial frame, what would we see?
(Turns out it describes extremely well what we see.)

DaveC426913 said:

I agree with your first statement, but the second statement isn't entirely true. Many scientists do care about a secular version of "truth". Science is exactly one of the tools I use to examine "truth". I use it to understand myself, where I came from, how I can help myself and others through applications (medicine, happiness). I would only ever publish the observations, but my I'm still free, in my spare time, to interpret those observations.

Of course, I recognize that my version of the truth is always going to have errors associated with it, and I'm always willing to change my version of the truth in light of strong evidence. But the pursuit, the motivation for all the energy that I put into my research would not be there for... well, most of us, I believe... if we thought what we were pursuing was in any way the opposite of the truth.

DaveC426913 said:
It is certainly not true.

The constancy of c is a postulate.

i.e.:

Suppose we take it that c is constant in every inertial frame, what would we see?
(Turns out it describes extremely well what we see.)

but according to experimental data it is, otherwise we would have postulated something more suitable. It is true as far as we can tell, so why does science not deal with truths?

Religion has nothing to do with truth, science is the best notion of truth we have, and mathematics is the basis for this.

Functor97 said:
but according to experimental data it is,

No. Data doesn't say anything.

It is our models that give meaning to the data that say things.

Functor97 said:
Religion has nothing to do with truth
The point is not whether religion is truth, the point I'm making is that Religion claims to know truths.

Science does not.

Functor97 said:
So you would deny that according to experimental data it is true that the speed of light [in a vacuum] is constant in all intertial frames of reference?
I would add: Within the limits of the experiments that have been performed so far.

Some empirical findings have been very strongly verified. Many, like the invariance of c, are so strongly confirmed that they have formed the basis of other theories. It's also the reason when some neutrinos seemed to arrive early in an experiment, the immediate thought was that "something got overlooked" was the more likely reason.

Still, there is no way of knowing if some future scientists may come up with an inertial frame of reference where the speed of light is observed to be different from the others. There is no way to demonstrate that this will never happen.

We don't expect it will happen any time soon and if it did we would expect the variation to be of a kind that still allows all the other physics that depends on it to work with little modification.

Note: while it was introduced as a postulate it is a postulate that has been tested in different reference frames using different kinds of clocks. Note that Einsteins math would still work even had the postulate proved non-physical - it would just mean he had not discovered any physics.

All this is philosophy of science 101.

Pythagorean said:
Of course, I recognize that my version of the truth is always going to have errors associated with it, and I'm always willing to change my version of the truth in light of strong evidence. But the pursuit, the motivation for all the energy that I put into my research would not be there for... well, most of us, I believe... if we thought what we were pursuing was in any way the opposite of the truth.

If you know it can have errors and you are willing to change it, then even you know it wasn't truth.

Functor97 said:
but according to experimental data it is, otherwise we would have postulated something more suitable. It is true as far as we can tell, so why does science not deal with truths?

Religion has nothing to do with truth, science is the best notion of truth we have, and mathematics is the basis for this.

Mathematics is only another tool. I think (good) philosophy is the only rational subject to speak directly of truth. In the sciences, we integrate both philosophy and mathematics. Generally, scientists utilize an empirical philosophy (a 'good' philosophy, I think :approve:) mathematics is one of the tools we use to understand how our expectations match observation. But the mathematics can go behind the scenes (and often must, for very complex mathematics... I only use it to program my data so that I can see it as more of a visual representation, because no sense can be made of a bunch of numbers and complicated equations. I know what each term of the equations describes physically, but taken all together, any intuitive exploration of 100+ dimensional systems the mathematics is not enough, you have to possesses the spatial metaphor: geometry.)

DaveC426913 said:
If you know it can have errors and you are willing to change it, then even you know it wasn't truth.

That's not the argument, though... I've, in fact, already said this exact same thing myself (as you quoted). The argument is about the existence of a truth that doesn't belong to religion, not my possession of it.

DaveC426913 said:

It could have errors, but that does not imply that it does.

Functor97 said:

...? what kind of argument is this?

Functor97 said:

That's OK. The point is, we don't deal with it being The Truth, since we can never know that. Any theory can always be overturned with the next piece of data.

Pythagorean said:
Mathematics is only another tool. I think (good) philosophy is the only rational subject to speak directly of truth. In the sciences, we integrate both philosophy and mathematics. Generally, scientists utilize an empirical philosophy (a 'good' philosophy, I think :approve:) mathematics is one of the tools we use to understand how our expectations match observation. But the mathematics can go behind the scenes (and often must, for very complex mathematics... I only use it to program my data so that I can see it as more of a visual representation, because no sense can be made of a bunch of numbers and complicated equations. I know what each term of the equations describes physically, but taken all together, any intuitive exploration of 100+ dimensional systems the mathematics is not enough, you have to possesses the spatial metaphor: geometry.)

Mathematics is not just a "tool", it is the living breathing heart of the sciences. Without mathematics there would be no theory of relativity, because General Relativity is a mathematical theory. We use our empirical data to match our mathematical theory.

We may one day have a theory which accounts for all observations. We cannot prove that the theory is perfect, because that would contradict our empirical method, it is impossible. That does not mean that the universe does not follow these laws, regardless of our minds or perspectives, making it for all intents and purposes the truth.

DaveC426913 said:
That's OK. The point is, we don't deal with it being The Truth, since we can never know that. Any theory can always be overturned with the next piece of data.

Yes I agree, however we aim for the truth!

I guess I'm not a 1-0 kind of guy.

I see science as producing "small truths" (truths that hold within a given frame of reference). The statements are true and self-consistent (because it's implicit in the statement that our assumptions could be wrong).

"The Truth" is definitely and ominous, creepy, suspect sounding title for the subject; I would not trust even a scientists showing me evidence if he claimed to have "The Truth". I don't believe in this "1". But I also don't believe "0": that the universe is completely stochastic and without reason.

Pythagorean said:
I guess I'm not a 1-0 kind of guy.

I see science as producing "small truths" (truths that hold within a given frame of reference). The statements are true and self-consistent (because it's implicit in the statement that our assumptions could be wrong).

"The Truth" is definitely and ominous, creepy, suspect sounding title for the subject; I would not trust even a scientists showing me evidence if he claimed to have "The Truth". I don't believe in this "1". But I also don't believe "0": that the universe is completely stochastic and without reason.

I see your point. I acknowledge that our human conception of truth is probably misplaced. However the essence of reality which science provides is far more rationale a process than any other, so i accept it as truth.

Functor97 said:
Mathematics is not just a "tool", it is the living breathing heart of the sciences. Without mathematics there would be no theory of relativity, because General Relativity is a mathematical theory. We use our empirical data to match our mathematical theory.

You realize that sentence 2 is a non-sequitor with respect to sentence 1?
your last sentence does not conflict with my statement about mathematics being a tool.

We may one day have a theory which accounts for all observations. We cannot prove that the theory is perfect, because that would contradict our empirical method, it is impossible. That does not mean that the universe does not follow these laws, regardless of our minds or perspectives, making it for all intents and purposes the truth.[

Mathematics is an even smaller truth than observation. It is almost so self-consistently true as to be irrelevant; we must qualify mathematics to utilize it. At least observation has some direct interaction with reality.

Functor97 said:
I see your point. I acknowledge that our human conception of truth is probably misplaced. However the essence of reality which science provides is far more rationale a process than any other, so i accept it as truth.

Well yes, I agree. I think science is one of the ways we know that our concept of truth is displaced (which is itself, a truth).

Pythagorean said:
You realize that sentence 2 is a non-sequitor with respect to sentence 1?
your last sentence does not conflict with my statement about mathematics being a tool.

Mathematics is an even smaller truth than observation. It is almost so self-consistently true as to be irrelevant; we must qualify mathematics to utilize it. At least observation has some direct interaction with reality.

I apologize for not expressing myself clearly.

I acknowledge that without experiment, physics would never get of the ground. What i mean to say is that mathematics explains the reason for physical theories. We generate our mathematics from empiracism (our logic evolving to match our environment so as to survive). Mathematics is the only to tool we have to explain anything, as mathematics is indicative of reality itself. I acknowledge that mathematics is a very useful tool, but i do not believe it was designed as a tool, but discovered and implemented to explain.

I don't know. I see mathematics as a subject at a university. Some elements of it are discovered, some elements of it are invented. Some elements might not fit so nicely into such a simple, two-boxed system as "discovered" or "invented".

Functor97 said:
It is true as far as we can tell, so why does science not deal with truths?
(my emphasis) That's not the same thing as saying it is "true" true.

In philosophy, "truth" has a more careful definition than it has in real life. Science does not deal with truth but in reality. You don't need absolute knowledge to function in the real world - good old approximate knowledge is fine for sitting down and hitting keys.

Religion has nothing to do with truth, science is the best notion of truth we have,
And the best notion is to sort out what is not true. In a way, the only certain truth we can have is of falsehood.

and mathematics is the basis for this.
... you may notice that not all mathematical constructs have their analog in reality. Even some of the ones that looked promising, like Euclidean geometry, turned out to be flawed. Don't get too cocky about math - it is a human construction.

Learn Humility monkey-sage ;)

Bear in mind that these are philosophical disputes that have been around for millenia right? We are not going to do justice to them in a few forum posts.

I'm going to give you a bunch of primers:

Realism vs Phenominalism (Problem of perception)
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/perception-problem/
phenominalism: nothing is real - it's all just sense data
realism: there exists a reality behind our sense-data, and our sences give us useful information about it

Empiricism vs Rationalism
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rationalism-empiricism/
Rationalism: some synthetic truths can be known a-priori
Empiricism: the rationalist is full of it.

Problem of induction
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/induction-problem/
... a synthetic truth cannot be known with certainty from repeated observation.
See 4.2 (Popper) for a description of scientific knowledge (deduction) in this context, and section 5 for the application of probability.

There are probably less dry sources but these are pretty short.

Pythagorean said:
I don't know. I see mathematics as a subject at a university. Some elements of it are discovered, some elements of it are invented. Some elements might not fit so nicely into such a simple, two-boxed system as "discovered" or "invented".

We invent the definitions to generate a clear consise understanding of the subject matter. This is no different to our laws of physics, did we invent the laws of physics?

It is quite odd that a pythagorean would claim that mathematics was even slightly invented :wink:

Simon Bridge said:
And the best notion is to sort out what is not true. In a way, the only certain truth we can have is of falsehood.

The goal of science is not to open the door to everlasting wisdom, but to set a limit on everlasting error.
-Galileo

Simon Bridge said:
(my emphasis) That's not the same thing as saying it is "true" true.

In philosophy, "truth" has a more careful definition than it has in real life. Science does not deal with truth but in reality. You don't need absolute knowledge to function in the real world - good old approximate knowledge is fine for sitting down and hitting keys.

... you may notice that not all mathematical constructs have their analog in reality. Even some of the ones that looked promising, like Euclidean geometry, turned out to be flawed. Don't get too cocky about math - it is a human construction.

Learn Humility monkey-sage ;)

Bear in mind that these are philosophical disputes that have been around for millenia right? We are not going to do justice to them in a few forum posts.

I'm going to give you a bunch of primers:

Realism vs Phenominalism (Problem of perception)
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/perception-problem/
phenominalism: nothing is real - it's all just sense data
realism: there exists a reality behind our sense-data, and our sences give us useful information about it

Empiricism vs Rationalism
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rationalism-empiricism/
Rationalism: some synthetic truths can be known a-priori
Empiricism: the rationalist is full of it.

Problem of induction
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/induction-problem/
... a synthetic truth cannot be known with certainty from repeated observation.
See 4.2 (Popper) for a description of scientific knowledge (deduction) in this context, and section 5 for the application of probability.

There are probably less dry sources but these are pretty short.

Thank you for posting those links, i have read the stanford philosophy wiki before, it is a good resource.

I however think you are overstepping the line, claiming that not all mathematical construction correspond to reality. Does this not fit you criterion of falsehood? i.e. It seems that way, but we cannot prove it.
What if string theory or the multiverse is somehow supported by experiment? It is not beyond the realms of possibility. If so, and each "universe" is a homogenous set of physical laws, then it is quite possible that all mathematical "constructions" are embedded in a deeper reality.
I also disagree with your claim that mathematics is man made. This is a ridiculous claim. We can't find an even prime besides two, no matter how much we may want to, nor may we construct one without changing the meaning of a prime.

Pythagorean said:
The goal of science is not to open the door to everlasting wisdom, but to set a limit on everlasting error.
-Galileo

I have never read that quote before, thank you for posting it!

Functor97 said:
I however think you are overstepping the line, claiming that not all mathematical construction correspond to reality. Does this not fit you criterion of falsehood? i.e. It seems that way, but we cannot prove it.
Much of mathematics makes absolutely no bones about being utterly divorced from any reality.

For example, mathematics can and does deal with an arbitrarily large number of dimensions that are not even intended to model any real-world counterpart.

The OP does not meet the minimum posting guidelines for philosophy. Please REPORT all threads posted in philosophy that don't follow the rules.

DaveC426913 said:

Hi Dave.:smile: I think we have to be very careful with the usage of the word "TRUTH". I support the following:

The National Science Teachers Association (1) has an e-book entitled "The Truth About Science: A Curriculum for Developing Young Scientists" (2). Here’s the description:

"The truth is: Valid research demands more than beakers and Bunsen burners-- much more. So give kids the lowdown on how real scientists work. This engaging book shows you how to develop students’ creative and critical thinking skills to make qualitative and quantitative observations, compare testable research questions and hypotheses, design an experiment, collect and analyze data, and present results and conclusions orally and in writing. In addition to handy reproducible pages, the book is packed with special features: an unusually large section on quantitative analysis and data interpretation, plenty of background for teachers inexperienced with statistics and data analysis, and a mix of both formative and summative assessment strategies."

1. http://www.nsta.org/
2. http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781935155577

You may like to also review PubMed article Truth in basic biomedical science will set future mankind free:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21970156. And, there was an article, Tiny fossil fragment reveals giant-but ugly-truth - Fossil in London’s Natural History Museum is part of biggest-ever toothed pterosaur from dinosaur era , dated October 13, 2011 that was issued by University of Leicester Press Office: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2011/october/tiny-fossil-fragment-reveals-giant-but-ugly-truth?searchterm=Tiny

I do think that the National Biology Teachers Association statement on teaching evolution is a valuable resourse for 'teaching evolution'. Here's an excerpt I think we both agree on:

"The principle of biological evolution states that all living things have arisen from common ancestors. Some lineages diverge while others go extinct as a result of natural selection, mutation, genetic drift and other well-studied mechanisms. The patterns of similarity and diversity in extant and fossil organisms, combined with evidence and explanations provided by molecular biology, developmental biology, systematics, and geology provide extensive examples of and powerful support for evolution. Even as biologists continue to study and consider evolution, they agree that all living things share common ancestors and that the process of evolutionary change through time is driven by natural mechanisms.

"Evolutionary biology rests on the same scientific methodologies the rest of science uses, appealing only to natural events and processes to describe and explain phenomena in the natural world. Science teachers must reject calls to account for the diversity of life or describe the mechanisms of evolution by invoking non-naturalistic or supernatural notions, whether called “creation science,” “scientific creationism,” “intelligent design theory,” or similar designations. Ideas such as these are outside the scope of science and should not be presented as part of the science curriculum. These notions do not adhere to the shared scientific standards of evidence gathering and interpretation." http://www.nabt.org/websites/institution/index.php?p=92

Best wishes to you. Have a wonderful weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Science" needs to invent its own vocabulary. Words like truth and certainty just bog down the discussion. Or more to the point, science doesn't "work" in terms infallibilities.

Functor97 said:
Mathematics is not science. While science must be connected with reality, mathematics has no such constraints.

An example: Most physicists assume space and time are continuous. Suppose tomorrow an experiment is announced that shows this assumption to be false. Would this falsify the mathematics of the real numbers? Of course not. Mathematics is not constrained by reality. Mathematical theorems regarding the reals will still be valid the day after tomorrow.

Another example: Mathematical theorems regarding Euclidean geometry are still as valid today as they were in Euclid's time. General relativity did not prove that Euclidean geometry is wrong. It merely showed that the geometry of the universe is not Euclidean.