Electric Field Between Two Parallel Plates

In summary, the magnitude of the electric field between two parallel plates is determined by the magnitude of charge on each plate and remains constant as the plate separation is changed if the surface charge is fixed. However, the voltage difference between the plates changes as the distance between them is altered. The formula for electric potential difference, Epsilon = Delta V / r, implies that the magnitude of the electric field is dependent on the distance between the plates. When calculating the magnitude of the electric field, the direction can be determined by considering the direction of the force experienced by a unit positive charge at that point.
DMac
[SOLVED] Electric Field Between Two Parallel Plates

My textbook says that the magnitude of the electric field at any point between two plates (except near the edges) depends only on the magnitude of the charge on each plate.

For example, if the magnitude of the electric field between two plates was 3.2 x 10^2 N/C, the field magnitude would not differ if the plate separation were to triple.

However, in the next section, it talks about electric potential difference, and it gives a formula:

Epsilon = Delta V / r, which implies that the magnitude of the electric field between two large parallel plates is dependent on the distance between them.

Could someone please explain to me how these two seemingly contradictory statements make sense?Thanks in advance. =D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DMac said:
For example, if the magnitude of the electric field between two plates was 3.2 x 10^2 N/C, the field magnitude would not differ if the plate separation were to triple.
If you kept the surface charge on the plates fixed, then the field would not change as you separated the plates (within the limits of the approximation). But the voltage difference certainly changes. Delta V = E*d applies here.

However, in the next section, it talks about electric potential difference, and it gives a formula:

Epsilon = Delta V / r, which implies that the magnitude of the electric field between two large parallel plates is dependent on the distance between them.
If you keep the voltage fixed but change the distance you end up changing the charge on the plates.

Oh, I get it now. =P Thanks so much!

New Question

Oh yeah, I also have a question, but this one's actually dealing with numbers.

A negative charge of 2.4 x 10^-6 C experiences an electric force of magnitude 3.2 N, acting to the left. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at that point.

I used the formula
Epsilon = Electric Force / Charge and i got the numerical answer to be 1.3 x 10^6 N/C. But, the answer also includes the direction, which is supposed to be
. How does that work? I thought it would be to the left.​

Electric field at a point P is defined as the force experienced by a unit positive charge at that point. Hence, if a negative charge experiences a force to the left, a positive charge would experience a force to the right. Hence, the direction of the Electric Field is to the right.

Ha, I can't believe I never thought of that. Thanks!

FAQ: Electric Field Between Two Parallel Plates

1. What is an electric field between two parallel plates?

The electric field between two parallel plates is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. This force is caused by the difference in electric potential between the two plates.

2. How is the electric field between two parallel plates calculated?

The electric field between two parallel plates is calculated by dividing the voltage or potential difference between the plates by the distance between them. It can also be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the area of the plate.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two parallel plates?

The strength of the electric field between two parallel plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the voltage or potential difference between the plates, and the charge on the plates. The electric field is stronger when the plates are closer together, the voltage between the plates is higher, and the charge on the plates is greater.

4. How does the direction of the electric field between two parallel plates change?

The direction of the electric field between two parallel plates always points from the positive plate to the negative plate. This direction does not change as long as the voltage and charge on the plates remain constant.

5. What is the significance of the electric field between two parallel plates?

The electric field between two parallel plates is used in various applications, such as in capacitors and particle accelerators. It also helps to understand the behavior of electrically charged particles in an electric field and is an important concept in the study of electromagnetism.

Back