Issue with Green's function for Poisson's equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a 3D function p(x,y,z) in terms of another function f(x,y,z) via the Laplace operator. It is noted that if working in a twice-infinite channel-shaped domain, there may be an issue with defining f outside of the domain. However, it is possible to extend the domain of f in a way that does not sacrifice smoothness. The conversation also mentions the Green function for this problem and its use in solving for p.
Hoplite
Say we have a 3D function, [tex]p(x,y,z)[/tex] and we define it in terms of another function [tex]f(x,y,z)[/tex] via,

[tex]\nabla ^2 p = f.[/tex]

I know that if we are working in [tex]R^3[/tex] space (with no boundaries) we can say that,

[tex]p= \frac{-1}{4\pi}\iiint \limits_R \frac{f(x',y',z')}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2 +(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2}} dx' dy' dz' [/tex].

But here is my issue: Say that instead of [tex]R^3[/tex] , we are working in a twice-infinite channel-shaped domain called [tex]\Omega[/tex], defined via,

[tex] \Omega =\left[ (x,y,z): \quad -\infty < x,y < \infty , \quad -\frac{1}{2} \leq z \leq -\frac{1}{2} \right] .[/tex]

Call the boundary of this domain [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex]. Now say that we have no boundary conditions specified for [tex]p[/tex] on [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex], but that [tex]f[/tex] is defined on [tex] \Omega[/tex], and is not specified outside of [tex]\Omega[/tex].

I can see no reason, however, that we couldn't say that [tex] f=0[/tex] outside of [tex] \Omega[/tex], and that way define [tex] f[/tex] on all of [tex]R^3[/tex]. (But I could be missing something.) I should further specify that [tex] f=0[/tex], on the boundary [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex], so we could extend the domain of [tex]f[/tex] in thids way without sacrificing smoothness. (We can assume that [tex]f[/tex] is smooth and finite everywhere on [tex]\Omega[/tex].)

So, since [tex]p[/tex] is not defined on [tex]\partial \Omega[/tex], can I simply treat it as a function defined on [tex]R^3[/tex] with no boundaries, and hence solve for [tex]p[/tex] using the triple integral above? Or is this illegal, since [tex]f[/tex] is defined only on [tex] \Omega[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think the problem (must) needs the boundary condition, if not it's ill-posed. The Green function of
[tex] \nabla ^2 p = f \; , \; \text{ in } \mathbb{R} ^3 [/tex]​
is

[tex]G(x,y,z; \xi , \eta , \theta)= \frac{-1}{4\pi} \frac{1}{ \sqrt{(x-\xi )^2 +(y-\eta )^2+(z-\theta )^2}} [/tex]
and the Green function of the problem
[tex] \begin{align} \nabla ^2 p &= f \; , \; \text{ in } \Omega \; \text{(defined by you)} \\
p &= g \; , \; \text{ on } \partial \Omega
\end{align} [/tex]
is

[tex] G_0 (x,y,z;\xi , \eta , \theta )= \sum_{n= -\infty}^{\infty} [ G(x,y,z; \xi , \eta , k + \theta + 1/2) - G(x,y,z; \xi , \eta , k - \theta - 1/2 ) ] [/tex]
where [tex] f \in L^2( \mathbb{R} ^3)[/tex] or [tex] f \in L^2 ( \Omega ) [/tex].

1. What is the Green's function for Poisson's equation?

The Green's function for Poisson's equation is a mathematical function that represents the solution to a specific type of differential equation called Poisson's equation. It is used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the significance of the Green's function for Poisson's equation?

The Green's function for Poisson's equation is significant because it allows us to find solutions to complex problems that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It also provides a general solution that can be applied to a variety of different boundary conditions.

3. What are some common issues with the Green's function for Poisson's equation?

Some common issues with the Green's function for Poisson's equation include difficulties in finding an analytical expression for the Green's function, convergence issues when using numerical methods, and limitations in its applicability to certain types of boundary conditions.

4. How do scientists overcome these issues?

Scientists have developed various techniques to overcome the issues with the Green's function for Poisson's equation. These include using numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods, developing approximations for the Green's function, and using alternative methods such as integral transforms.

5. Can the Green's function for Poisson's equation be used for other types of equations?

While the Green's function for Poisson's equation is specifically designed for solving Poisson's equation, it can also be applied to other types of equations with similar mathematical structures. It has been successfully used in problems involving heat transfer, diffusion, and wave propagation, among others.