Solving the Wave Equation via complex coordinates

In summary, the wave equation can be solved using the Laplacian in terms of complex co-ordinates, but this requires knowing the winding number.
jk22
I'm looking for material about the following approach : If one suppose a function over complex numbers ##f(x+iy)## then

##\frac{df}{dz}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{1}{\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{1}{\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}-i \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}##

Hence the wave equation with source g reads

##Re(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial z^2})=g(x+iy)##

Using Cauchy residue theorem

##Im(\oint\frac{f(z)}{(z-a)^3}dz)=\pi g(a)##

Then if the source is the function itself we can obtain the total function out of the contour integral over the boundary condition for example.

However I seek to use this method to solve the wave equation given another source and don't know how to solve the integral equation. Does anyone know how this could be done ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the Laplacian in terms of complex co-ordinates, I'm not sure you can do this for the wave equation though, as you have a minus sign to contend with.

Ok, I have to check, but is it correct that gives the solution of the Klein-Gordon equation with a quantization due to the winding number ?

Oops, I made mistakes.

1) ##\frac{d}{dz}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-i\frac{\partial}{\partial y})##

I forgot also that ##y=ct##

Then we have to derive twice

##f(z)=\frac{n_\gamma(z)}{2\pi i}\oint_\gamma\frac{f(s)}{z-s}ds##

Towards ##z## :

##\frac{d^2}{dz^2}=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}-\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}-2i\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{c\partial t}##

This seems more clear to ask the questions :

1) is the product of operator derivative a second order derivative or the square of the first derivative : ##\frac{\partial^2\psi(x,t)}{\partial x^2}\neq\left(\frac{\partial\psi(x,t)}{\partial x}\right)^2##

2) in deriving the Cauchy formula wrt. ##z## assuming the endstate were zero as well as the boundary but the initial state uniformly distributed, then there are 3 termd, the first involving second derivative of ##n_\gamma(z)## which gives a derivative of a delta and the integral gives a log type result. I don't know if this is correct ?

But assuming this would imply the square of the log is decreasing and then increasing, like a Bell signal.

But increasing signals with the distance is contrary to all forces in the nature ? Hence there shall be a maximal distance for intrication ?

Erratum : the imaginary part of theexpression in the integral is of the form ##\frac{ct}{(x-s)^2+c^2t^2}ds## so it is not a log but an arctan.

Addendum : if this is correct it could permit in particular to solve a lot of equations of the type ##\box\psi=f(\psi)## even with the requirement of compactness between an initial and and a final condition.

(Could The compactness solve for example the problem of infinite speed of diffusion of a delta localized particle ?)

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important in science?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of waves in various physical systems. It is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of waves in different systems, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves.

2. What are complex coordinates and how are they used to solve the wave equation?

Complex coordinates are a mathematical concept that involves using complex numbers to represent points in a coordinate system. They are used to solve the wave equation by transforming it into a simpler form that can be solved more easily using complex analysis techniques.

3. Can the wave equation be solved without using complex coordinates?

Yes, the wave equation can also be solved using real coordinates and traditional methods such as separation of variables. However, using complex coordinates can often simplify the equations and make the solution process more efficient.

4. What are some practical applications of solving the wave equation via complex coordinates?

Solving the wave equation via complex coordinates has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves in antennas, analyzing the vibrations of musical instruments, and understanding the propagation of seismic waves in the Earth's crust.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using complex coordinates to solve the wave equation?

One limitation of using complex coordinates is that it may not always be applicable to all types of wave equations. Additionally, the use of complex numbers can be challenging for those who are not familiar with them, which may make the solution process more difficult.