Black Hole Evaporation: Exploring Mass Loss

In summary, black holes emit black body radiation known as Hawking radiation, which causes them to lose mass and eventually evaporate. Hawking radiation is believed to originate from quantum fluctuations. Black holes can be indirectly observed through their gravitational interactions with their surroundings, and there is a possibility that astrophysical black holes can be directly imaged in the near future. The expansion of the universe is not caused by charge, but rather by the initial throw that caused the Big Bang.
robsharp14
black holes evaporate, i know that it sounds like it defies all rational elucidation but i think that black holes evaporate. see black holes emmit black body radiation they also emmit hawking radiation and hawking radiation as far as I am informed shrinks black holes it causes them to lose mass and even matter.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes. This is highly agreed upon. (Although to the black body radiation black holes emit *is* Hawking radiation)

ok thanks

question, where does hawking radiation come from?

and i have another question,what makes the universe expand? is it anti gravity or no one knows for sure

one more question. if god exists what is he made of,and how can he survive the big crunch?

robsharp14 said:
one more question. if god exists what is he made of,and how can he survive the big crunch?

This would probably be better asked in a philosophy or theology forum, rather than an Astrophysics forum.

robsharp14 said:
question, where does hawking radiation come from?
From Stephen Hawking, of course :tongue:

there are different views about the precise origin or Hawking radiation, but I think there is general agreement that quantum fluctuations are the ultimate source.

Extremal black holes, at absolute zero, apparently do not radiate...these are as far as I understand theoretical constructs...in fact I don't believe we have absolute observational evidence for any black holes yet...

Naty1 said:
there are different views about the precise origin or Hawking radiation, but I think there is general agreement that quantum fluctuations are the ultimate source.

Extremal black holes, at absolute zero, apparently do not radiate...these are as far as I understand theoretical constructs...in fact I don't believe we have absolute observational evidence for any black holes yet...

Wouldn't black holes BE unobservable by definition? The fact that we have things that act as theories on black holes predict, including unobservability, makes it, at least to me, seem rather convincing.

TubbaBlubba said:
Wouldn't black holes BE unobservable by definition? The fact that we have things that act as theories on black holes predict, including unobservability, makes it, at least to me, seem rather convincing.
Black holes could be detected by observing their gravitational effect on their surroundings. Gravitational lensing, in which the black hole's gravity distorts the light from sources behind it, is one way. Also, by measuring the energy of the radiation from accretion discs, one can infer the existence (and mass) of the black hole. This second method is more indirect than the former, however, just because we can't use light to 'see' a black hole, this does not mean that they are undetectable in principle.

I know, that's why I said unobservable rather than undetectable. But thanks for the elaboration.

I see little difference between those words. But this is no place for a semantic argument. Since this is a common question asked by forum goers, I think it's important to make the point that even though black holes are not visible, they are still observable.

Black holes are usually detected by radiation emitted by their accretion disc. Others are detected by their gravitational influence in a binary [or more] system. Gravitational lensing another possibility although I'm unaware of any direct detections by this method [too many plausible alternatives]. None are detected by virtue of their hawking radiation, it is much cooler than the CMB.

Black Hole evaporation. Hawkins radiation. and dark matter. I think are the remains of proton distruction. It would explain why the universe is expanding as the charge would be positive and would repel all mater comming close to it. It would also account for the mismatch of strong and weak forces. Has anybody looked at this as a solution. Only areas where negative charges are abundant (electrons) would be able to accumulate and form stars and element solids.

bapowell said:
I see little difference between those words. But this is no place for a semantic argument. Since this is a common question asked by forum goers, I think it's important to make the point that even though black holes are not visible, they are still observable.

No scientist has ever admitted to actually seeing a black hole; though, there are good indicators where one might be though.

By their very nature black holes do not directly emit any signals other than the hypothetical Hawking radiation. Since the Hawking radiation for an astrophysical black hole is predicted to be very weak, this makes it impossible to directly detect astrophysical black holes from the Earth. A possible exception to the Hawking radiation being weak is the last stage of the evaporation of light (primordial) black holes. Searches for such flashes in the past has proven unsuccessful and provides stringent limits on the possibility of existence of light primordial black holes.[64] NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope launched in 2008 will continue the search for these flashes.[65]

Astrophysicists searching for black holes thus have to rely on indirect observations. A black hole's existence can sometimes be inferred by observing its gravitational interactions with its surroundings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Observational_evidence

There is a good chance that, within a decade or so, we should be able to "image" the astrophysical black hole at the centre of our galaxy. See

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=portrait-of-a-black-hole

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0607279.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
There is a good chance that, within a decade or so, we should be able to "image" the astrophysical black hole at the centre of our galaxy. See

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=portrait-of-a-black-hole

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0607279.

Note the "good chance" - but I have high hopes. Over the years our technology surprises us again and again.

the universe as i see it is expanding because of the throw which caused th big bang ... the gravity being a very weak force , caoul not stop this expasion , hence we keep on expanding ... but friedman proposes 3 models in which , the first one says that gravity will dominate and there will again be a big crunch , the 2nd says that the 2 forces will balnce out and th 3rd says that the universe will expand to infinity ...
and taxman , i don't think the universe is expanding because of charge ...
and hawking radiation comes from a particle and an antiparticle formed just aboive the event horizon

andya said:
and hawking radiation comes from a particle and an antiparticle formed just aboive the event horizon

Well the hawking radiation is itself the particle and anti particle emitted

taxman said:
Black Hole evaporation. Hawkins radiation. and dark matter. I think are the remains of proton distruction. It would explain why the universe is expanding as the charge would be positive and would repel all mater comming close to it. It would also account for the mismatch of strong and weak forces. Has anybody looked at this as a solution. Only areas where negative charges are abundant (electrons) would be able to accumulate and form stars and element solids.
Yes, and it has not been taken seriously.

1. What is black hole evaporation?

Black hole evaporation is a theoretical process proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in which black holes gradually lose mass over time and eventually disappear. This is due to the emission of particles from the black hole's event horizon, known as Hawking radiation.

2. How does black hole evaporation occur?

Black hole evaporation occurs through a process known as Hawking radiation, where particles are emitted from the black hole's event horizon. This is caused by quantum effects near the event horizon, where particles are created in pairs and one falls into the black hole while the other escapes as radiation.

3. Can black holes completely evaporate?

According to current theories, black holes can completely evaporate if they are small enough. This is because smaller black holes have a stronger gravitational pull, causing them to emit more Hawking radiation and lose mass at a faster rate. However, larger black holes may take trillions of years to completely evaporate.

4. What happens to the information that falls into a black hole?

This is still a topic of debate among scientists, but the currently accepted theory is that information is not destroyed when it falls into a black hole. Instead, it is encoded in the Hawking radiation that is emitted by the black hole. This is known as the "information paradox" and is still being studied by physicists.

5. How does black hole evaporation affect the surrounding space?

As black holes lose mass through evaporation, they also release energy in the form of Hawking radiation. This energy can have an impact on the surrounding space, potentially heating up any nearby matter and causing changes in the black hole's environment. However, the effects of black hole evaporation on the surrounding space are still not fully understood.