Moment of Inertia on Semi-Hollow Cylinder

In summary, the homework statement states that the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is given by I=\frac{1}{2}m(r^2_2+r_1^2).
trautlein

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder has mass m, and outside radius [tex]r_{2}[/tex], and an inside radius [tex]r_{1}[/tex]. Use intergration to show that the moment of inertia about its axis is give by [tex]I=\frac{1}{2}m(r^2_2+r_1^2).[/tex]

Uniform composition is assumed.

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\int r^2dm[/tex]
[tex]dm=\sigma dA[/tex]

and

[tex]A=\pi r^2[/tex]
(note, later on I constrict the lower and upper bounds of integration to account for the now entire area of the circular side, which sounds as though it is assumed here)

The Attempt at a Solution

Note: Using equations above.

[tex]I=\int r^2dm[/tex]

[tex]I=\int r^2\sigma dA[/tex]

[tex]dA=2\pi rdr[/tex]

[tex]I=\sigma 2\pi\int r^3dr[/tex]

(here I insert my upper and lower bounds)
[tex]I=\sigma 2\pi\int_{r_1}^{r_2} r^3dr[/tex]

[tex]I=\sigma 2\pi \left(\frac{r^4_2}{4}-\frac{r^4_1}{4} \right )[/tex]

[tex]I=\sigma \pi \left(\frac{r^4_2}{2}-\frac{r^4_1}{2} \right )[/tex]

[tex]I=\frac {1}{2}\sigma \pi \left(r^4_2-r^4_1 \right )[/tex]

[tex]\sigma=\frac{m}{A}[/tex]

and since

[tex]A=\pi r^2_1-\pi r^2_2[/tex]
then

[tex]I=\frac{m}{2(\pi r^2_1-\pi r^2_2)} \pi \left(r^4_2-r^4_1 \right )[/tex][tex]I=\frac{\left(r^4_2-r^4_1 \right )m}{2 (r^2_1-r^2_2)}[/tex]This is as far as I venture into the problem before I realize that I've done something wrong if I'm supposed to get the answer they assume at the beginning of the problem. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you very much for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct so far. Remember a2-b2=(a+b)(a-b). So if you factorize the numerator what do you get?

Given:

[tex]I=\frac{\left(r^4_2-r^4_1 \right )m}{2 (r^2_1-r^2_2)}[/tex]

Then:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}m(r^2_1+r^2_2)[/tex]

Great! Thank you so much! I actually forgot how those exponents would go into each other, that was my issue. Thanks for leading me toward the right answer there!

What is moment of inertia on a semi-hollow cylinder?

Moment of inertia on a semi-hollow cylinder is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass of a semi-hollow cylinder, and is an important factor in understanding its rotational behavior.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a semi-hollow cylinder?

The moment of inertia for a semi-hollow cylinder can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * MR^2, where M is the mass of the cylinder and R is the radius of the cylinder. This formula assumes that the walls of the cylinder are thin and the density is constant throughout.

What factors affect the moment of inertia on a semi-hollow cylinder?

The moment of inertia on a semi-hollow cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the mass and distribution of mass within the cylinder, the shape and size of the cylinder, and the axis of rotation.

Why is moment of inertia important for a semi-hollow cylinder?

Moment of inertia is important for a semi-hollow cylinder because it affects its rotational behavior. A higher moment of inertia means the cylinder will resist changes in its rotational motion, while a lower moment of inertia means it will be easier to rotate.

How does moment of inertia on a semi-hollow cylinder compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia on a semi-hollow cylinder is different from other shapes, such as a solid cylinder or a hollow cylinder. This is because the distribution of mass is different in each shape, and therefore the moment of inertia will vary. In general, a solid cylinder will have a higher moment of inertia than a semi-hollow cylinder of the same mass and radius.