White shirts washed in blue makes them brighter

• Medical
  • Thread starter arbuzas
  • Start date
In summary, whites can become yellowed by staining from sweat, etc., and bleaching alone couldn't take that color cast away. Fabric brighteners like 4-Methoxy-N-methyl-1,8-naphthalimide or 7-(2H-Napthol[1,2-d]triazol-2-yl)-3-phenylcoumarin absorb ultraviolet light and emit bluish light which makes the whites appear whiter and the colors appear brighter, regardless of whether the garment is actually clean.
arbuzas
Hey there,

Since old times it's known that white shirts, tainted by blue, will look brighter, thus whiter. I heard that it has to do with bipolar cells (Wh, Y B and R G) responses. If we put them in 3D plane, then vector's module is longer if both Wh and Y B cells react as opposed to reaction of only Wh cell (Pythagorean theorem). But why exactly we have to use blue to get brighter shirts? Red colour would also make vector's module longer.

Biology news on Phys.org
arbuzas said:
Hey there,

Since old times it's known that white shirts, tainted by blue, will look brighter, thus whiter. I heard that it has to do with bipolar cells (Wh, Y B and R G) responses. If we put them in 3D plane, then vector's module is longer if both Wh and Y B cells react as opposed to reaction of only Wh cell (Pythagorean theorem). But why exactly we have to use blue to get brighter shirts? Red colour would also make vector's module longer.

Welcome to PF arbuzas. I'm afraid I cannot make sense of what you are asking at all, are you by any chance using an online translator?

This doesn't sound like it answers your question arbuzas, but explains what bluing is. My mother used it in the laundry when I was young.

This doesn't belong in medical, your question is along the lines of biology and chemistry. I'll decide where to move it later.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-113007.html

Evo said:
This doesn't sound like it answers your question arbuzas, but explains what bluing is. My mother used it in the laundry when I was young.

This doesn't belong in medical, your question is along the lines of biology and chemistry. I'll decide where to move it later.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-113007.html
Yep. Whites could become yellowed by staining from sweat, etc, and bleaching alone couldn't take that color cast away, so my mother used bluing when washing whites.

Evo's straightdope link had a post from someone named "Squink"

Squink 05-02-2002, 10:25 PM
"people today think that if a product is going to whiten clothes, it is going to do so by removing dirt, not adding a dye."
:p Tee hee... Actually these days we use fabric brighteners like 4-Methoxy-N-methyl-1,8-naphthalimide or 7-(2H-Napthol[1,2-d]triazol-2-yl)-3-phenylcoumarin which absorb ultraviolet light and emit bluish light. This makes the whites appear whiter and the colors appear brighter, regardless of whether the garment is actually clean.

So people used to put some blue tint on Whites to cancel the yellow dinge.
Now, if we believe Squink, they put on a fluorescent dye that absorbs UV and radiates blue light. Which would have a similar effect but a bit souped up perhaps. Formidable.

I see that the most prevalent explanation is that in subtractive color wheel yellow and blue are in opposite ends. That means that they are complementary which in turn should mean that mixing them results in white color. For what I know that would be true in additive color mixing (if we were mixing illuminants). Because in subtractive color mixing yellow + blue = green.
ryan m b: no, I'm not using online translator. It's just that I'm not used to using scientific terms in English.
It's my fault I didn't put it clearly so I'll try again. I have psychophisics textbook in which is written that there are three types of bipolar cells in our eye: luminosity (White-Black) and opponent (Yellow-Blue; Red-green). Then eye receives information about color, these cells respond in varying proportions (depending on light's properties). So we could lay responses of these 3 cells in 3D plane. Perceived color is a vector, which is a result of summation of 3 vectors that indicate responses of 3 cells. It's written in this textbook, that perceived luminance depends on the length of this vector. And after this follows the question about this bluing thing (and unfortunately without answer). So I thought bluing had to do with responses of these cells. But I haven't found any source that would confirm this.
Evo: thank you for the site and sorry I chose the wrong section

1. What causes white shirts to turn yellow when washed with blue detergent?

The yellowing of white shirts when washed with blue detergent is caused by a chemical reaction between the blue dye and the bleach used in the detergent. This reaction can cause the fabric to become discolored and appear yellow.

2. How does washing white shirts with blue detergent make them brighter?

Blue detergent often contains brightening agents, such as optical brighteners, which absorb UV light and emit blue light. This blue light can make white fabrics appear brighter and whiter to the human eye.

3. Can washing white shirts with blue detergent remove stains?

Yes, depending on the type of stain, blue detergent can help remove stains from white shirts. The blue coloring in the detergent can act as a color-correcting agent and help to neutralize the stain, making it less visible.

4. Is it safe to wash white shirts with blue detergent?

Yes, it is generally safe to wash white shirts with blue detergent. However, it is important to follow the instructions on the detergent bottle and avoid using too much detergent, as this can cause discoloration or damage to the fabric.

5. How can I prevent my white shirts from turning yellow when washed with blue detergent?

To prevent yellowing, you can try using a detergent specifically designed for white clothes, or one that does not contain bleach or brightening agents. Another option is to separate your white shirts from colored clothing and wash them separately to avoid any color transfer.