How to Use the ∏ Symbol in HP 50g Calculator?

• Thread starter Bob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator represents the mathematical constant pi (π) and is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations involving circles and spheres. To access it, press [SHIFT] followed by [ ] and use the arrow keys to select it. The symbol has a precision of 12 digits, but the actual value used in calculations may be more precise. The value of pi can be changed by adjusting the calculator's angle mode.
Bob
use this one "∏"

anyone knows how to use it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you have your manual? ΠLIST is used to calculate the product of the elements of a list. See p 7-5 for details.

If you need a manual try: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00748646/c00748646.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your reply :smile:

I don't mean the product of elements of a list.

I mean this one:
[tex]\prod_{n=0}^\infty x^n[/tex]

What is the "∏" symbol used for on the HP 50g calculator?

The "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator is used to represent the mathematical constant pi (π) which is approximately equal to 3.141592653589793. This symbol is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations involving circles, spheres, and other circular or spherical objects.

How can I access the "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator?

To access the "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator, press the [SHIFT] key followed by the [ ] key. This will bring up the symbol menu where you can select the "∏" symbol using the arrow keys and pressing [ENTER] to input it into your calculation.

Can I use the "∏" symbol in my calculations on the HP 50g calculator?

Yes, the "∏" symbol can be used in calculations on the HP 50g calculator just like any other number or mathematical function. Simply input it into your calculation using the method described above and it will be treated as the numerical value of pi.

What is the precision of the "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator?

The "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator has a precision of 12 digits, meaning it will display up to 12 decimal places. However, the calculator can perform calculations with a higher precision, so the actual value of pi used in calculations may be more precise than what is displayed on the screen.

Can I change the value of pi used by the "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator?

Yes, the value of pi used by the "∏" symbol on the HP 50g calculator can be changed by adjusting the calculator's angle mode. In degrees or radians mode, the value of pi will be the standard 3.141592653589793. However, in gradian mode, the value of pi will be set to 3.1415926535898, which is the standard value used in trigonometric calculations in this mode.