A/m Hysteresis Loop: Wide vs Narrow Differences & Importance

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between wide and narrow hysteresis loops, as well as the importance of coercivity in determining the area of the hysteresis loop. It is mentioned that narrower loops require less energy to magnetize or demagnetize, making them more suitable for minimizing energy losses. The conversation also mentions the use of Maxwell software to create a B-H curve for a specific transformer.
Dash-IQ
Wide/Narrow Hysteresis loops, what's the difference?

When calculating the work done to magnetize a ferromagnetic material, calculating the hysteresis loop is the right way?
I know the narrower loop(soft) needs less energy(work) to magnetize or demagnetize it is that true?
That's why it's best to use Soft ferromagnetic materials to minimize losses in energy etc...?

image004.jpg

What is the importance of coercivity? It determines the "area" of the hysteresis loop?
Iron = 160 A/m
samarium-cobalt = 3.2 x 106

Last edited:
Likes alihashemi9091
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dash-IQ! :smile:
Dash-IQ said:
When calculating the work done to magnetize a ferromagnetic material, calculating the hysteresis loop is the right way?
I know the narrower loop(soft) needs less energy(work) to magnetize or demagnetize it is that true?
That's why it's best to use Soft ferromagnetic materials to minimize losses in energy etc...?

Yes, the area inside the hysteresis loop shows exactly the amount of the work done in one cycle. :wink:
What is the importance of coercivity? It determines the "area" of the hysteresis loop?
Iron = 160 A/m
samarium-cobalt = 3.2 x 106

I'm not familiar with coercivity … i thought it was just another word for "softness"? :confused:

Can anyone else answer this? o:)

i want a b-h curve of a 20kv/400v transformer in maxwell software...any body help me?

1. What is an A/m Hysteresis Loop?

An A/m Hysteresis Loop is a graphical representation of the relationship between the magnetic field strength (A/m) and the magnetization (m) of a material. It shows the behavior of a material when it is magnetized and demagnetized, and is used to understand the magnetic properties of different materials.

2. What is the difference between a wide and narrow A/m Hysteresis Loop?

The main difference between a wide and narrow A/m Hysteresis Loop is the amount of energy required to magnetize and demagnetize a material. A wide loop indicates that a material requires more energy to magnetize and demagnetize, while a narrow loop means that less energy is needed.

3. Why is the width of the A/m Hysteresis Loop important?

The width of the A/m Hysteresis Loop is important because it is directly related to the energy losses in a material. A wider loop means that more energy is lost in the form of heat, and this can affect the efficiency of devices that use magnetic materials, such as transformers and motors.

4. How does the width of the A/m Hysteresis Loop affect the magnetic properties of a material?

The width of the A/m Hysteresis Loop affects the magnetic properties of a material in terms of its coercivity and remanence. A wider loop means that a material has a higher coercivity, which is the ability to resist demagnetization. It also results in a lower remanence, which is the amount of magnetization that remains in a material after the magnetic field is removed.

5. How can the width of the A/m Hysteresis Loop be controlled?

The width of the A/m Hysteresis Loop can be controlled by changing the composition and microstructure of a material. For example, adding small amounts of elements such as silicon or aluminum can reduce the width of the loop and decrease energy losses. The manufacturing process and heat treatment of a material can also affect the width of the loop.