Is There an App to Track Website Updates?

In summary, there are several apps available that can track website updates for users. These apps use a variety of methods such as RSS feeds, web scraping, and push notifications to keep users informed of any changes or updates on their favorite websites. Some popular options include VisualPing, Distill, and Follow That Page. These apps are useful for individuals who want to stay updated on changes to their favorite websites or for businesses that need to monitor competitor websites for updates or changes. With the increasing importance of staying up-to-date in the digital age, these apps provide a convenient and efficient solution for tracking website updates.
600burger
Anyone know of any app (preferably free, or built into windows) that can track a website and tell me if the information on that page has been updated.

I'm working on tracking a large amount of Legislation bills and need to be updated on when they are being ammending/voted/enacted.

Thanks,
-Andrew

Computer science news on Phys.org
Interesting, not sure how I would go about doing that. How much of the page has to change in order for it to be marked as "new."

The HTTP headers returned by the server include a last-modification timestamp. If you know just about any programming language, it should be an easy task to send requests to the server for a bunch of URLs, record the timestamps, and compare them with the last timestamps.

It'd probably be 10-15 lines of Python.

- Warren

I was thinking something around the same lines but I checked the headers of these forum pages and didn't see any timestamp.

Well, these forum pages are generated dynamically by PHP, so they don't have modification times.

Normal html files should, however.

I actually just realized an easier way. Send all your requests with an If-Modified-Since: header, and just read the response code.

- Warren

Yep, you are right. I forgot php pages show the modified date as the time you are accessing the page.

heheo:)

In that case the IF statement would work perfectly.

1. What is web site update tracking?

Web site update tracking is the process of monitoring and recording changes made to a website over time. This can include changes to the design, content, or functionality of the site.

2. Why is web site update tracking important?

Web site update tracking allows website owners to keep track of changes made to their site, ensuring that all updates are intentional and accurate. It also helps to identify any potential issues or errors that may arise during updates.

3. How does web site update tracking work?

Web site update tracking can be done manually by regularly checking the website and recording any changes, or it can be automated using tools or software specifically designed for this purpose. These tools typically use a combination of web crawlers and comparison algorithms to detect and record changes.

4. What are the benefits of using web site update tracking tools?

Using web site update tracking tools can save time and effort by automating the process of monitoring changes. It also provides a more accurate and comprehensive record of updates, making it easier to identify and resolve any issues that may arise.

5. Are there any limitations to web site update tracking?

While web site update tracking can be a useful tool, it does have its limitations. Some changes, such as minor text edits or image replacements, may not be detected by automated tools. Additionally, web site update tracking may not be able to differentiate intentional changes from accidental ones. It is important to regularly review and verify the recorded updates to ensure accuracy.