Making a Career in Physics Outside of Academia

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's background in physics and their decision to pursue a PhD outside of their home country due to limited opportunities for their specific field. They mention their current work in theoretical physics and their interest in pursuing a career outside of academia, specifically in industries like finance, materials, or mechanics. They also ask for advice on finding a job in the US and whether it is possible to search for a job before obtaining a visa. The conversation ends with reassurance that a PhD is never a waste of time and suggestions to gain industry experience through internships.
Spizzer
Hello,

I come from Belgium where I did my Master in Physics. However, in this country, with this diploma you can only teach in schools (ages 15-18)... PhD positions are relativelly few and far between. As I did not wanted to teach young poeple, I searched for a PhD outside my country and I found one in Germany.

So, I am currently doing a PhD in Theoretical Physics in Germany, witch is a completely different country where I discovered they was something outside of teaching. I still have two years to go, so I have time. But I was asking myself questions about my future. At first I wanted to continue in the academic research. I know it consists of doing several 2/3 years postdocs in the hope of someday finding a permanent position. However, I have heard that it is also possible to work in industries with a PhD.

I have searched this forum without success, so now is my question: What are the perspectives of making a carreer outside the academia for someone like me?

For your information, in my work I am doing more simulations and computational things that really playing with equations all day long. Also I am still quite young and I should have finished my PhD at around 24. Finally, I am disposed of going anywhere so you can give me situation either in Europe or the US (or somewhere else ^^).

I hope I have been clear enough, and thanks in advance for your answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
could you tell us more about your thesis for the phd? Also, what doctoral coursework did you attend/do?

I have some ideas, but need more specific info about your abilities.

Fearless said:
could you tell us more about your thesis for the phd? Also, what doctoral coursework did you attend/do?

I have some ideas, but need more specific info about your abilities.
So my Thesis is on the topic of Cold Atoms (BEC), I spend my time working for simulational methods in that field. I also try to optimize this kind of codes and to make it work on a compute cluster (paralel computing). So I speak C/C++/Fortan/Linux and some mathemical langages, but I suppose that's quite common.

For the course work, I am not yet finished, but I took mainly things in relations to my field (bad thing for industry, no?) since I did my Master thesis in QCD, I had to learn new things. I did also a few Graduate Days covering some topics of physics like "Climatology and Global Warming", ... Finally I also went to a Journal club in my field. I am not sure I got you right so please feel free to tell me if I am not answering you. (btw here I only have to make 16 semesters hours during my entire PhD, so it is not that much) Also, I did not take it all yet, so if you think some courses my be useful for me, I am also very much interrested.

scientific computing together with math and physics is always a good thing. Maybe you could do simulations in industry? like finance, materials or mechanic modelling?
My guess is that materials is a good choice for someone with a computational physics background coupled with quantum theory.

Ok, thanks a lot for your answers. I still have a few question if you don't mind (I am discovering the world outside academia at the moment ^^). I think I understand what the Finance and Mechanic modeling is. For material modeling, do you mean something like http://www.math.ucla.edu/~material/" ?

Finally, a more technical question. If I would like to work in the US, is it possible to search for a job before, from Europe, and then only when you found a job ask for a visa and then cross the Atlantic? Or should I come first in the US, without revenue, and then find a job? (I am not asking for Europe since I moved from a country to another in Europe already so I know how it works)

Thanks again for your help, I was a bit depressed at the moment, asking myself if I was not putting myself into a dead end by doing my PhD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, something like that. I suppose your background are rather sound for a job like that, maybe in the steel industry?

I would save up some money where you are now, then travel to the states and set up some meeting before in europe, then going on a "tour", discovering the country and sights at the same time.

no, a phd is never a waste of time, but engineers who go into phd's more often than not get into a lower starting position than MSc-people who go directly into industry, if you haven't had any contacts with industry before getting the doctoral degree.

Ok thanks a lot for your answers.

Since you can program (at the OOP level I hope) you are good to go; yet, need to add a internship before you graduate to make things a bit easier on yourself (well a lot).
However, likely London would be easier to get access to than the US, now from what I understand.

Funny, I was just talking to the some software reps about parallel computing. Even better for you.

Related to Making a Career in Physics Outside of Academia

What is a career in physics outside of academia?

A career in physics outside of academia refers to any job or profession where a physicist works outside of a traditional academic setting, such as a university or research institution. This can include roles in industry, government, healthcare, finance, and more.

What type of skills are required for a career in physics outside of academia?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics principles and theories, a career in physics outside of academia requires a combination of technical and soft skills. Some technical skills that are often required are data analysis, programming, and experimental design. Soft skills such as communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving are also important for success in this field.

What are some common job titles for physicists outside of academia?

There are many different job titles that a physicist can hold outside of academia. Some common ones include research scientist, data scientist, engineer, consultant, and technical writer. However, the possibilities are endless and depend on the specific industry and role.

What are the benefits of pursuing a career in physics outside of academia?

There are many potential benefits to pursuing a career in physics outside of academia. These can include higher salaries and better job security, as well as opportunities for career growth and advancement. Additionally, working in a non-academic setting can provide a different perspective and allow for a more diverse range of experiences.

How can I prepare for a career in physics outside of academia?

To prepare for a career in physics outside of academia, it is important to gain experience and skills in both technical and soft areas. This can be achieved through internships, research projects, and coursework. Networking and building connections in the industry can also be helpful in finding job opportunities and learning about different career paths.