How Can I Remove Linux from My Laptop While Keeping GRUB Intact?

In summary, if you want to get rid of linux why do you want to keep grub? You can try to use a windows boot cd and fix the mbr (master boot record) use google, then your machine will directly boot into windows.
fileen
How do I get linux off my laptop and reclaim that partition without having to do a fresh Windows install and without damaging the boot manager (GRUB)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you want to get rid of linux why do you want to keep grub?
Generally, the files grub uses to boot are stored in the /boot directory of your linux partition. So formatting that partition will destroy grub. If you're only using windows then I'd recommend reinstalling the windows boot loader.
This can easily be done with the Windows install cd, the SuperGrub cd, or even more easily, with Lilo.
To use Lilo, install on your current linux distro and execute the command:
lilo -M [device] mbr
where [device] is the device where grub is installed. That worked for me but no guarantees. The windows cd is the safest way to go.

I formatted the partition which contained linux, it removed GRUB but it resulted in failure to boot into windows. I've now reinstalled ubuntu to replace GRUB, I just want to get all that space back. I don't know how to use the windows disk to install the boot manager, but I will google it and see if I can't figure it out.

So what you are asking:
I dual boot windows and linux, how do I make a windows only machine from it?

You can try to use a windows boot cd and fix the mbr (master boot record) use google, then your machine will directly boot into windows. Windows has a build in partition manager, and I think you can use it to delete the linux partition and resize c:

As daniel says if you removed grub then it can't boot.
The MBR is only 512 bytes, all it contains is a link to which program to use on which partition. If you selected to install grub tot he mbr - all it i was replace the 'windows' mbr with one that points to the grub install in the linux partition.

You can restore a regular MBR with either the lilo or fixmbr/restore command on the linux boor disk. Or you can use the windows install cd, select rescue and then use the fixmbr command

Do you want to keep GRUB because you don't currently like the distro you have installed and want to try to dual boot another linux distro?

FAQ: How Can I Remove Linux from My Laptop While Keeping GRUB Intact?

1. Why would someone want to remove Linux from their laptop?

There are a variety of reasons why someone might want to remove Linux from their laptop. Some might have initially installed Linux to try it out and now want to switch back to their previous operating system. Others might have encountered compatibility issues with certain software or hardware. Some might simply prefer a different operating system or have found that Linux does not meet their specific needs. Whatever the reason, it is important to follow proper procedures for safely removing Linux from a laptop.

2. Is it difficult to remove Linux from a laptop?

The difficulty level of removing Linux from a laptop can vary depending on the specific distribution and installation method used. However, in general, it is not a difficult process as long as the proper steps are followed. It is important to back up any important data before proceeding with the removal to avoid any potential loss of information.

3. What is the best way to remove Linux from a laptop?

The best way to remove Linux from a laptop is to use a bootable USB or CD drive with a Windows or Mac operating system installation file. This will allow you to boot into the installation process and format the hard drive, removing all traces of the Linux operating system. You can also use a partitioning tool to remove the Linux partition and merge it with your previous operating system's partition, but this method may be more complex and require additional technical knowledge.

4. Will removing Linux affect my computer's performance?

Removing Linux from a laptop should not have any negative impact on the computer's performance. In fact, it may even improve performance if the previous operating system was more compatible with your hardware and software needs. However, it is always a good idea to make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the operating system you plan to use after removing Linux.

5. Can I reinstall Linux on my laptop after removing it?

Yes, you can reinstall Linux on your laptop after removing it. However, make sure to follow proper procedures and back up any important data before proceeding with the reinstallation. It is also important to ensure that your laptop meets the minimum system requirements for the Linux distribution you plan to install.