How to calculate the density of an iron nucleus

In summary, the iron nucleus has a mass per unit volume of 1.4x10^17 kg/m^3 and becomes 1.7*10^13 times more dense when compressed until all the empty space between the cores is filled in.
matt_crouch

Homework Statement

An iron nucleus has a radius of 5.4x10^-15 and a mass of 9.3x10^-26 what is its mass per unit volume in kg/m^3

Homework Equations

Area of a sphere = 4/3(pi)r^3
Density= M/V

The Attempt at a Solution

i basically plugged everything into the equations so calculated the volume and put it into the density equation but my answer is far to high i think

im getting 1.4x10^17 kgm^-3

just need some clarification on how to complete it or if I am right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
your calculation is Ok.
the size of an iron atom is 1.4*10^-10 m. This means that the radius of the core is about 26000 times smaller, and the volume is 26000^3 smaller, so about 1.7*10^13 times smaller.
If you compress iron until all the empty space between the cores is filled in it will become 1.7*10^13 times more dense.

ok thanks just wanted to check =]

1. How do you calculate the density of an iron nucleus?

The density of an iron nucleus can be calculated by dividing the mass of the nucleus by its volume.

2. What is the formula for calculating the density of an iron nucleus?

The formula for calculating the density of an iron nucleus is D= m/V, where D is density, m is the mass of the nucleus, and V is the volume of the nucleus.

3. What units are used to measure the density of an iron nucleus?

The density of an iron nucleus is typically measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

4. How do you determine the mass of an iron nucleus?

The mass of an iron nucleus can be determined by multiplying the number of nucleons (protons and neutrons) by the mass of a single nucleon.

5. Can the density of an iron nucleus change?

No, the density of an iron nucleus remains constant as it is a fundamental property of the nucleus and is not affected by external factors.