Can Black Holes Consume the Entire Universe?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of black holes swallowing all matter in the universe, the rate of evaporation for massive black holes, and the similarities between a singularity and the universe pre-big bang. It was mentioned that this scenario is not realistic and there is currently no way to compare the singularity to the universe before the big bang. The conversation ended with the individual expressing their interest in learning more about astrophysics.
Aeronaut
I'm a newbie to astrophysics you could say, and I have had a few questions lingering around in my head.
So in this situation the universe hasn't been destroyed yet, but much of it has been "eaten" by black holes.

Question 1: Is it possible for BH's to swallow all matter in the universe, or would there be an energy limit/ other limits?

Question 2: If it is possible for question 1 to occur, then if all matter has been condensed into one massive black hole would it shrink rapidly due to Hawking's radiation (I'm not to sure about how Hawking's radiation works)?

Question 3: Since the universe has been reduced to a singularity, would this be similar to the universe pre Big Bang? If so, then would it have infinite temp and density?

I understand if this sounds completely asinine to some of the experts/vets here.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1) Hypothetically I see nothing preventing it, as long as you are talking about matter that can be in causal contact with the black hole. However this is in no way a realistic scenario.

2) No. More massive black holes evaporate slower than lower mass black holes. The evaporation time scale for a solar mass black hole is about 10^67 years, and this time scale goes up with the cube of the mass.

3) We don't know, right now, what the universe was like before the big bang (or even if that is a sensible question to ask), so there is no way to compare that to anything else.

Thanks guys, it was just something that bugged me for a while.
I'll be sure to pick up a few books about astrophysics for leisure, it's pretty interesting.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This phenomenon is caused by the collapse of a massive star.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. As the star collapses, its mass becomes concentrated into a single point, known as a singularity. This singularity has an extremely strong gravitational pull, creating a black hole.

3. Can black holes be seen?

No, black holes cannot be seen directly as they do not emit any light. However, the effects of a black hole, such as its gravitational pull on surrounding objects, can be observed.

4. Do black holes last forever?

According to current scientific theories, black holes do not last forever. They gradually lose mass through a process known as Hawking radiation and eventually evaporate completely. However, this process takes an incredibly long time, so black holes can be considered effectively permanent on human time scales.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape due to the extreme gravitational pull. However, before crossing the event horizon, an object may still be able to escape if it has enough velocity to overcome the gravitational pull. This is known as the "escape velocity" and it increases as an object gets closer to the black hole.