Peltier Junction Heats, Doesn't Cool

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on what to do with their peltier junction rated at 12V, as both sides become hot when running. They are recommended to post on a forum and read a relevant thread. They also mention using the peltier to cool their computer and ask questions about feeling the coolness of one side and determining which side will be hot or cold. The conversation also covers the use of heat sinks, voltage limits, and maximum heat output.
Mk
I have a peltier junction rated at 12V and when ran both sides become hot, what's wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I suggest that you post this here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102

Might also want to read the thread called "Newbee question" by me :biggrin:
I became interested in pelteirs myself and I might start using them to cool parts of my computer down.

Mk said:
I have a peltier junction rated at 12V and when ran both sides become hot, what's wrong?
You need to strap a heat sink to it, otherwise there is nowhere for the heat on the hot side to go except over to the cold side. I bought one a couple of months ago to play with and I got two heat sinks with fans and rubber banded them together with the peltier in the middle.

Ahh, thanks guys. Yeah, I have a heat sink already from my gutted Pentium 2. If I turn down the voltage, can I feel the coolness of one side? How can you tell which side will be hot, and which will be cold?

Mk said:
If I turn down the voltage, can I feel the coolness of one side?
Without a heat-sink, you'll need to be touching both sides the moment the power is applied to tell the difference. But it should work (with a heatsink) at 5V - I used a computer power supply to run mine for testing.
How can you tell which side will be hot, and which will be cold?
Unless its marked, you have to turn it on to find out - and trust me, you'll know. It takes less than a second for it to cool 50+ degrees.

Is there a maximum heat output? Can I turn the voltage up past 12V?

Mk said:
Is there a maximum heat output? Can I turn the voltage up past 12V?

Most put a thermal switch in that cuts out at 150 degrees F. yes you can go past 12 volt NOT ALL but most 12 volt pelter junctions have a absolute max voltage input of 15.2 volts

1. What is a Peltier Junction?

A Peltier Junction is a small device that uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat from one side to another when an electric current is applied. It consists of two dissimilar conductors joined together, creating a thermoelectric circuit.

2. How does a Peltier Junction work?

The Peltier effect occurs when an electric current is passed through two different conductors that are connected. This causes one side to become hot and the other to become cold, creating a temperature difference between the two sides.

3. Why does a Peltier Junction heat up instead of cooling down?

A Peltier Junction can both heat and cool, but the direction of heat transfer depends on the direction of the electric current. When the current is reversed, the hot and cold sides of the junction switch places, causing it to cool instead of heat.

4. What are some common applications of Peltier Junctions?

Peltier Junctions are commonly used in refrigeration and cooling systems, such as mini-fridges and wine coolers. They are also used in temperature control for electronic devices, medical equipment, and scientific instruments.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using Peltier Junctions?

One drawback of Peltier Junctions is their low efficiency compared to other cooling methods. They also require a significant amount of power to operate, which can be a concern for portable devices. Additionally, they may be prone to failure over time due to the constant heating and cooling cycles.