Optimizing Fence Cost for Rectangular Field

In summary, the problem statement is trying to find a fence that will divide an area of 37.5 million square feet into two equal parts, and the solution is to put the fence inside the original rectangle, parallel to one side.
Calculus!
1. The problem statement

A farmer wants to fence an area of 37.5 million square feet in a rectangular field and then divide it in half with a fence parallel to one of the sides of the rectangle. How can he do this so as to minimize the cost of the fence? (Give the dimensions in increasing order.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking to take 37.5 and divide it by two to get 18.75. So then one equation would be 18.75 = xy/2, right? I'm just not too sure how to get the equations.

Physics news on Phys.org

Don't just do random things with numbers. The problem does NOT say that the internal fence divides the rectangle into equal parts which is what you seem to be thinking.

Draw a picture. Draw a rectangle with a line inside it parallel to one of the sides. Call the length x and the width y. What is the area? What is the length of fencing required?

I don't know. I'm still confused on what the picture will look like. I don't seem to understand.

but it does say "A farmer wants to fence an area of 37.5 million square feet in a rectangular field and then divide it in half with a fence parallel to one of the sides of the rectangle."

Irrelevant. Putting the fence inside the original rectangle, parallel to one side, will divide it into two smaller rectangles, having the same total area and requiring the same fence length no matter where you put that internal fence.

Here's what the picture will look like: Draw a rectangle. draw a line inside the rectangle parallel to one side. Calll the length of the side perpendicular to the internal fence "x". Call the length of the side parallel to the internal fence "y". What is the total area in terms of x and y? Set that equal to 37.5 million square feet. What is the total length of fencing in terms of x and y? Minimize that.

1. What is a math optimization problem?

A math optimization problem is a mathematical model that seeks to find the best solution to a given problem, often involving maximizing or minimizing a certain objective function while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. What are some common applications of math optimization?

Math optimization is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, economics, finance, computer science, and operations research. Examples of applications include production planning, resource allocation, portfolio optimization, and network routing.

3. What are the different types of math optimization methods?

The three main types of math optimization methods are linear programming, nonlinear programming, and dynamic programming. Other popular methods include integer programming, quadratic programming, and genetic algorithms.

4. How do I solve a math optimization problem?

Solving a math optimization problem involves finding the optimal values for the decision variables that satisfy all constraints and optimize the objective function. This can be done using various techniques, such as gradient descent, simplex method, or branch and bound algorithms.

5. What are the advantages of using math optimization?

Math optimization allows for more efficient and effective decision making by finding the best possible solution to a given problem. It also helps to save time, money, and resources by optimizing processes and systems. Additionally, it can provide insights and solutions that may not be apparent through traditional problem-solving methods.