Understanding Continuity in the Cross Product Function

In summary, the cross product is a continuous function because it satisfies the definition of continuity. This definition involves finding a delta value that will result in a small enough difference between the output of the function for two given inputs, which are represented by the variables x and y. In this case, x and y are pairs of vectors in R^3, and the distance between them can be represented by the norm of the vector that connects them. Since the cross product function takes in two vectors and outputs another vector, the value |x-y| would be the norm of the vector that connects the two pairs of vectors (x and y).
symbol0
1. Show that the cross product is a continuous function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to apply the definition of continuity: find a delta such that
|x-y|< delta implies |f(x)-f(y)|< epsilon
but I'm having trouble making sense of what |x-y| is.
As I see it, x is a pairs of vectors in R^3 and so is y. Then what is |x-y|? and how do I get to the conclusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a vector that connects x with y, so the norm of this vector would be the distance between x and y.

I am saying that just x is a pair of vectors in R^3. The cross product function takes that pair of vectors and gives you one vector (that is perpendicular to the original two).
So x is 2 vectors and y is another 2 vectors. What would |x-y| be?

Or is my understanding wrong? In that case, how can I approach the problem?

What is continuity?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that refers to the smoothness or connectedness of a function. It means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

What is a cross product?

A cross product is a type of vector operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and torques.

How is continuity related to cross product?

In terms of continuity, a cross product can be used to determine if a function is continuous at a given point. If the cross product of the gradient of the function and the direction of approach to the point is zero, then the function is continuous at that point.

What are some real-world applications of continuity and cross product?

Continuity and cross product have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid flow, electromagnetism, and 3D animations.

Are there any limitations to the use of continuity and cross product?

While continuity and cross product are powerful mathematical tools, they have their limitations. They may not be applicable to all types of functions, and they can sometimes produce inaccurate results in certain situations. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of these concepts when applying them in real-world scenarios.