Interaction between solid objects

In summary, the answer to Claude's question is that there is always a layer of space between two adjacent atoms of different objects. This layer of space is what causes friction. Non-solid objects also cause friction.
Allanon
Greetings!

I've looked around in the FAQ and around the forums and couldn't find the answer to my question, so I've decided to ask. If however I did miss the answer, I apologize.

Well, it's quite elementary actually. I am wondering if it is correct to assume that no two solid objects actually touch each other, i.e. there is always a layer of space between two adjacent atoms of different objects. And if my assumption is correct, what is friction then? And what about non solid objects?

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your question involves whether or not the electrons surrounding surface atoms from two nominally colliding objects actually "touch" each other upon the event of "collision", the answer is no.
The electron fields interact and "collide", but not the actual electrons themselves. They do not collide with each other.

As far as I know friction is still not fully understood. However, at the macroscoping level, friction arises from the electrostatic interactions of the nuclei at the surface.

~H

Ah, friction! It can seem counter-intuitive that friction is a "non-contact" property. But, this would depend upon your definition of "contact"
Remember, electrons have fields, and fields interact, and this interaction can be severe enough to displace the electrons(and even their associated atoms) producing the field!
So, although the electrons may not physically "contact" each other, their fields do.

Also, consider a "flat" surface. There are electrons whirling about each surface atom(which themselves are at some distance from each other), and so one might roughly and visually characterize a "flat" surface as a string of very tiny beads. Think of the outer part of the beads being the electron "cloud" surrounding each atom.
So, there are natural valleys and troughs no matter how "smooth" one makes the surface, just much less in distance from each other.

Friction does indeed occur at a distance, it is detectable up to about 10 nm from a surface. AFM and NSOM systems use this 'Shear-force' to regulate distance between their probes and a sample.

Claude.

Understood! Thanks.

Related to Interaction between solid objects

1. What is the definition of "interaction between solid objects"?

The interaction between solid objects refers to the physical forces and effects that occur when two or more solid objects come into contact with each other. This can include phenomena such as friction, compression, and deformation.

2. How does the surface texture of solid objects affect their interaction?

The surface texture of solid objects plays a crucial role in their interaction. Rougher surfaces tend to have more friction and can cause objects to stick or slide against each other, while smoother surfaces have less friction and allow for easier movement. Surface texture can also impact the amount of contact area between two objects, which can affect the amount of force they exert on each other.

3. What factors influence the strength of interaction between solid objects?

The strength of interaction between solid objects depends on several factors, including the materials of the objects, their shape and size, the amount of force being applied, and the surface texture. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and the presence of lubricants can also affect the strength of interaction between solid objects.

4. How does the angle of contact between solid objects affect their interaction?

The angle of contact between solid objects can impact their interaction in various ways. For example, a larger contact angle can result in more friction and therefore, more resistance to movement. On the other hand, a smaller contact angle can result in less friction and allow for easier movement between the objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the interaction between solid objects?

Studying the interaction between solid objects has many practical applications, including in engineering, materials science, and product design. Understanding how different materials interact with each other can help engineers design more efficient and durable structures. It can also be applied in fields such as sports equipment design, where the interaction between solid objects is crucial for performance and safety.