Integral Help: Simplifying Integration with an Arbitrary Constant

• Thread starter MathNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
Wolfram Alpha and Maple 8 both say that this integral cannot be done. However, mathematica can do it.In summary, there is a difficult integration problem given with the equation \int \frac { dx } { ( a + x )^2 + sin^{2} ( \pi x ) }, which is considered to be quite ugly. The Integrator and Maple 8 are not able to compute it, but Mathematica is able to return an answer. However, there is some confusion regarding the argument of sin^2, as well as the simplicity of the integral.
MathNerd
Could someone please help me integrate

[tex]\int \frac { dx } { ( a + x )^2 + sin^{2} ( \pi x ) } [/tex]

where a is just an arbitrary constant...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my. That is ugly.

What kind of evil person is making you do that?

cookiemonster

The Integrator can't do it, therefore it's impossible. (I know this isn't true, but when Mathematica can't do it I get kind of scared.)

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.en.cgi

It just spits this out: http://integrals.wolfram.com/graphics.cgi?format=StandardForm&FontSize=Medium&expr=1/Sqrt%5B%28a%2Bx%29%5E2%20%2B%20%28Sin%5BPi%2Ax%5D%29%5E2%5D

Maple 8 says it cannot be done.
No answer I guess.

meister said:
The Integrator can't do it, therefore it's impossible. (I know this isn't true, but when Mathematica can't do it I get kind of scared.)

I can never get that to do a difficult integration when I have one. But yes this does look like a really nasty one.

Edit: I put it in and got this: http://integrals.wolfram.com/graphics.cgi?format=StandardForm&FontSize=Medium&x=24&expr=1%20/%20%28%20%28a%20%2B%20x%29%5E2%20%2B%20sin%5E2%28%28Pi%29x%29%20%29&y=21

Both my version of Mathematica and the Integrator return the integral.

The first one you had, MathNerd, Mathematica could do, but this new one doesn't work out.

cookiemonster

Zurtex said:
I can never get that to do a difficult integration when I have one. But yes this does look like a really nasty one.

Edit: I put it in and got this: http://integrals.wolfram.com/graphics.cgi?format=StandardForm&FontSize=Medium&x=24&expr=1%20/%20%28%20%28a%20%2B%20x%29%5E2%20%2B%20sin%5E2%28%28Pi%29x%29%20%29&y=21
How do you get a sin^2 with no argument?

U can calculate for certain sets of values of x where sin(pi x)=0 or 1

Yeah, really. The integral of a constant is a piece of cake.

cookiemonster

1. What is "Integral Help"?

Integral Help is a software program designed to simplify the process of integration with an arbitrary constant. It uses advanced algorithms and techniques to make integration easier and more accurate.

2. How does "Integral Help" work?

"Integral Help" uses a combination of numerical and symbolic methods to solve integrals with an arbitrary constant. It breaks down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts, and then uses mathematical rules and formulas to solve each part. Finally, it combines the solutions to give the final result.

3. Can "Integral Help" solve all types of integrals?

"Integral Help" is designed to solve a wide range of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals, as well as integrals with multiple variables. However, there may be some rare cases where it is unable to find a solution.

4. Is "Integral Help" accurate?

Yes, "Integral Help" uses advanced numerical and symbolic methods to ensure accuracy in its solutions. However, as with any software program, there may be some margin of error. It is always recommended to double-check the results for important calculations.

5. Can I use "Integral Help" for educational purposes?

Yes, "Integral Help" can be a valuable tool for students and educators studying integration. It can help simplify complex integrals and provide step-by-step solutions, making it easier to understand the concepts and improve problem-solving skills.