Weak Field Tensor: Explained by Ben

In summary, The symbol W^{\mu\nu} can refer to two different things depending on the indices used. If the indices are a and µ, it represents the weak interaction field strength tensor, which behaves like a spinor in an imaginary "isospin space". If the indices are µ and ν, it represents an ordinary 4-vector in ordinary space-time. It is not the same as the EM tensor.
Ben1729
Hi,
After actually struggling to find anything relevant in books/google/this forum I'd really appreciate if someone could enlighten me:
[tex] W^{\mu\nu} [/tex]
What is meant by this exactly?
Can I write this down in matrix form like the EM tensor?

Thanks

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ben! :smile:

If it's what I think, it's not [tex] W^{\mu\nu} [/tex] but [tex] W^{a\mu} [/tex]

The µ part is four-, and the a part is 3- (like the 3 Pauli spin matrices).

In µ, it behaves like an ordinary 4-vector, in ordinary space-time.

But in a, it behaves like the spin of an electron (a spinor), but in an imaginary "isospin space", not in ordinary space. :smile:

(Aitchison and Hey's book is a good place to look it up.)

So, no, it's not like the EM tensor. :cry:

Unless it refers to the field strength tensor of the weak interaction.

Related to Weak Field Tensor: Explained by Ben

1. What is a weak field tensor?

A weak field tensor is a mathematical representation of the gravitational field in the theory of general relativity. It describes how the gravitational field changes with respect to space and time.

2. How is the weak field tensor related to gravity?

The weak field tensor is used in the theory of general relativity to describe the behavior of gravity. It is derived from the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy.

3. What does the weak field tensor tell us about the gravitational field?

The weak field tensor provides information about the strength and direction of the gravitational field. It also describes how the gravitational field is affected by the presence of matter and energy.

4. Why is the weak field tensor important in physics?

The weak field tensor is important because it is a fundamental concept in the theory of general relativity, which is essential for understanding the behavior of gravity. It is also used in various applications such as gravitational wave detection and cosmology.

5. How is the weak field tensor used in experiments?

The weak field tensor is used in experiments to test the predictions of general relativity and to study the properties of gravity. For example, it is used in the analysis of data from gravitational wave detectors to confirm the existence of gravitational waves.