Reciprocals of Intervals Question

• Thread starter cmajor47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    intervals
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of reciprocals for intervals. It is mentioned that the reciprocal of an interval [r, s] is [1/s, 1/r]. However, there is a question about intervals that contain zero and whether they have a reciprocal. It is also requested for a formula to find the reciprocal of an interval such as [-2, 7]. The speaker also asks for a specific definition of "reciprocal" for intervals.
cmajor47

Homework Statement

I had a question about intervals and their reciprocals. If you have the reciprocal I where I is [r,s] than the reciprocal is [1/s , 1/r]. My question is when an interval contains zero, does the interval have a reciprocal. For instance if J is the interval [-2,7] does J have a reciprocal, and if so what is the formula for finding it?

Homework Equations

I = [r,s]
1/I = [1/s , 1/r]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please give the specific definition of "reciprocal" of an interval you are using. So far all you have said is that the reciprocal of [r, s] is [1/s, 1/r] which appears to be an example rather than a definition. If that really is the definition then it would appear that "reciprocal" of an interval depends ony on the endpoints and has nothing to do with points in its interior. But in that case, you appear to be saying that the reciprocal of [-2, 7] is [1/7, -1/2] which can't be true because 1/7> -1/2.

1. What are reciprocals of intervals?

Reciprocals of intervals refer to the inverse of a given interval. It is calculated by taking the value of the original interval and dividing it by one.

2. How do reciprocals of intervals relate to fractions?

Reciprocals of intervals can be represented as fractions, with the original interval serving as the numerator and one serving as the denominator. For example, the reciprocal of 2 is 1/2.

3. What is the purpose of finding reciprocals of intervals?

Reciprocals of intervals are useful in mathematical calculations, particularly in solving equations involving fractions. It can also be used in finding the slope of a line in geometry.

4. How do you find the reciprocal of an interval?

To find the reciprocal of an interval, simply divide one by the interval. For example, the reciprocal of 3 is 1/3.

5. Can reciprocals of intervals be negative?

Yes, reciprocals of intervals can be negative if the original interval is negative. For example, the reciprocal of -4 is -1/4.