Heat transfer through an insulated steel wall due to hydrocarbon fire

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem of modelling the rise in temperature on the "safe" side of a wall after a given time period of exposure to a hydrocarbon pool fire. The proposed solution involves a transient heat conduction problem with time-dependent boundary conditions and a 1D numerical model. The wall in question consists of a 5mm thick steel layer exposed to the fire, backed by 90mm of insulation. Considerations for heat transfer from the hot gases to the steel wall are also mentioned.
u01sdr9
Afternoon all,

I am interested to hear any and all suggestions as to how one would go about modelling the rise in temperature on the "safe" side of a wall, after a given time period over which the other side was exposed to a hydrocarbon pool fire.

The configuration I have been looking at consists of a steel surface exposed to the fire, mounted on an insulating layer.

I have a definition for the hydrocarbon fire curve, giving flame temperature at any given time and all material properties for the wall sections.

It would be great to hear what people think, cheers!

Science news on Phys.org
Hi u01sdr9. Welcome to Physics Forums.

This sounds like a straightforward transient heat conduction problem with time-dependent boundary conditions. More details about the system geometry and materials would be helpful to know whether it should include 2D, or whether a 1D model would be appropriate. Most likely, you would be pursuing a numerical solution.

chet

Is the fire lapping at the steel wall, or is it removed at a distance away. In either case the amount of radiation heat transfer from the hot gases to the steel wall would be something to consider.

The wall would consist of a 5mm thick steel layer exposed to the fire, backed by 90mm of insulation. I'm Assuming heat flux received by the wall would be uniform across the exposed area so I'm thinking a 1D model would suffice?

Apologies for my complete ignorance on this matter!

u01sdr9 said:
The wall would consist of a 5mm thick steel layer exposed to the fire, backed by 90mm of insulation. I'm Assuming heat flux received by the wall would be uniform across the exposed area so I'm thinking a 1D model would suffice?

Apologies for my complete ignorance on this matter!
Yes.

1. How does heat transfer occur through an insulated steel wall during a hydrocarbon fire?

Heat transfer occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. In the case of a hydrocarbon fire, convection and radiation are the dominant modes of heat transfer. The heat from the fire is transferred to the steel wall through the surrounding air (convection) and through electromagnetic waves (radiation).

2. What is the role of insulation in preventing heat transfer through a steel wall?

Insulation acts as a barrier between the hot environment (fire) and the cooler environment (inside the building). It reduces the amount of heat that can be transferred through the wall by slowing down the movement of air (convection) and by reflecting or absorbing the radiation from the fire.

3. How does the thickness of the steel wall affect heat transfer?

The thicker the steel wall, the longer it takes for heat to transfer through it. This is because thicker walls have a larger resistance to heat flow. Therefore, a thicker steel wall will provide better protection against heat transfer compared to a thinner wall.

4. What other factors can affect heat transfer through an insulated steel wall in a hydrocarbon fire?

Apart from the thickness of the steel wall, other factors that can affect heat transfer include the type and quality of insulation, the temperature of the fire, and the duration of the fire. Additionally, the presence of any gaps or cracks in the insulation or wall can also increase heat transfer.

5. How can heat transfer through an insulated steel wall be minimized during a hydrocarbon fire?

To minimize heat transfer through an insulated steel wall during a hydrocarbon fire, it is important to use high-quality insulation materials with no gaps or cracks. The thickness of the steel wall should also be sufficient to provide adequate resistance to heat flow. In addition, the use of fire-resistant coatings on the steel wall can also help to reduce heat transfer. Regular maintenance and inspection of the insulation and wall can also help to prevent any potential fire hazards.