Calculating Temp. in a Heated Vessel: A Problem for Dave

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a fuel supply being combusted with air inside a burner to heat up a sealed cylindrical vessel. The energy content of the fuel and flowrate are known, but the temperature inside the vessel during heating needs to be estimated. The question is whether to calculate the flame temperature and treat it as a heat transfer problem or use the energy content and mass flowrate to calculate the energy on one side of the wall.
davidgrant23
Hi there,

I have a problem that I cannot find a solution too. In this problem I have a fuel (approximately natural gas) supply which is combusted when mixed with air inside a burner. The flame that is then generated is used to heat up a sealed cylindrical vessel (the flame is on the outside of the vessel, but the combustion heat is used to heat up the inside of the vessel).

Now, I know the energy content of the fuel (MJ/kg) and the flowrate (kg/s). However, I am required to estimate the temperature inside the vessel during heating by the flame. The other information I know are the vessel wall thickness, wall material, and vessel volume.

How would I go about calculating the temperature inside the vessel? Do I need to calculate the flame temperature and then treat it as a simple heat transfer problem? Or can I simply use the energy content of the fuel and mass flowrate to calculate the energy on one side of the wall?

Cheers,
Dave

Science news on Phys.org
The gas in the container doesn't know that it is being heated by a flame on the outside of the container, right? So, you need to know the flame temperature. This is just the starting point.

1. How do you calculate the temperature in a heated vessel?

The formula for calculating temperature in a heated vessel is T = T0 + (P×V)/(m×C), where T is the final temperature, T0 is the initial temperature, P is the power input, V is the volume of the vessel, m is the mass of the substance inside the vessel, and C is the specific heat capacity of the substance.

2. What units should be used for the variables in the temperature calculation formula?

The units for the variables in the formula should be consistent. The power input (P) should be in watts (W), volume (V) in cubic meters (m³), mass (m) in kilograms (kg), and specific heat capacity (C) in joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg·°C).

3. Is the temperature calculation formula applicable for all substances?

No, the formula is specific to substances with a constant specific heat capacity. This may not be the case for substances that undergo phase changes or have varying chemical compositions.

4. What if the heated vessel has multiple substances inside?

In this case, the temperature calculation formula can be modified to account for the individual masses and specific heat capacities of each substance. The final temperature will depend on the combination of substances and their respective properties.

5. How does the temperature change over time in a heated vessel?

The change in temperature over time can be calculated using the heat transfer equation Q = m×C×ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation can be used to track the temperature change as the substance heats up in the vessel.