Please i with Beam Deflection problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the safe inclusive UDL for a 356x171 UB67 beam with a 9m span, taking into account the permissible bending stress and maximum deflection. The Q- refers to the question being asked, UDL stands for Uniformly Distributed Load, 356x171 refers to the beam size in millimeters, and UB67 represents a British Universal Beam weighing approximately 67 kg/m. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the weight of the beam itself in the calculation.
Ms.Alsofi
Can anyone help me to find the answer,,, its a very difficult question!

Q- calculate the safe inclusive UDL for a 356x171 UB67 simply supported at the ends of span of 9m.
The permissible bending stress is 167N/mm*2 and the defluction must not exceed (1/360) x span, and I = 187.2x10*6mm*4

please i need any1 to explain to me..

Physics news on Phys.org

What does Q- mean?
What does UDL mean?
What are the units for 356x171?
What does UB67 mean?

Defluction? You mean Deflection?"please i need any1 to explain to me.." A bit more legwork on your part would go a long way toward getting others to help you.

Ms.Alsofi said:
Can anyone help me to find the answer,,, its a very difficult question!

Q- calculate the safe inclusive UDL for a 356x171 UB67 simply supported at the ends of span of 9m.
The permissible bending stress is 167N/mm*2 and the defluction must not exceed (1/360) x span, and I = 187.2x10*6mm*4

please i need any1 to explain to me..
It's not difficult if you are allowed to use tables for the max deflection and max moment in a simple beam under a uniformly distributed load. Then you need to show some attempt to determine the UDL based on the controlling allowable stress or deflection.

huntoon said:
What does Q- mean?
What does UDL mean?
What are the units for 356x171?
What does UB67 mean?

Q- is that it is the question.
UDL is Uniformly Distributed Load
356x171 are in mm (this is a standard beam size)
UB67 is a British Universal Beam. (which if I am not mistaken describes that it is roughly 67 kg/m)

You certainly have enough info here Ms. Alsofi. Where do you think you should start? (Also, will you need to take into accound the weight of the beam itself? If so, be sure to do that)

I understand that solving beam deflection problems can be challenging and require a strong understanding of structural mechanics. It is important to carefully consider all the given parameters and use the appropriate equations and methods to find the solution. In this specific problem, it is important to calculate the safe inclusive UDL (uniformly distributed load) that the beam can withstand without exceeding the permissible bending stress and deflection limit. This can be achieved by using the given values of the beam's dimensions, span, permissible bending stress, and moment of inertia. I would suggest consulting a structural engineering textbook or seeking assistance from a qualified engineer to ensure an accurate and safe solution.

What is Beam Deflection?

Beam Deflection is the displacement of a beam from its original position due to external loads or forces acting on it. It is a measure of the flexibility or stiffness of a beam.

Why is Beam Deflection important?

Beam Deflection is important because it affects the structural integrity and safety of a building, bridge, or any other structure that uses beams. Excessive deflection can lead to structural failure, while insufficient deflection can cause discomfort or damage to the structure.

What factors affect Beam Deflection?

The factors that affect Beam Deflection include the type and properties of the material used for the beam, the shape and size of the beam, the type of load applied, and the support conditions of the beam.

How is Beam Deflection calculated?

Beam Deflection is calculated using various equations and formulas from the field of mechanics, such as Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the moment-area method. Advanced numerical methods, such as Finite Element Analysis, can also be used for more complex situations.

How can Beam Deflection be minimized?

Beam Deflection can be minimized by using stiffer materials, increasing the beam size, adding additional supports, and distributing the load evenly. It is also important to consider the maximum allowable deflection for a specific structure and design accordingly.