Proving the Cosine Identity: 5/16 + 15/32(cos2x) + 3/16(cos4x) + 1/32(cos6x)

In summary, the conversation discusses a trig identity that needs to be proven and the attempts made by the participants to solve it. The suggested approach is to repeatedly apply the double angle formula and express everything as functions of cos x. Eventually, all the terms will cancel out to give cos^6 x on the left side of the equation.
banfill_89
yet another trig identity...

Homework Statement

prove: cos^(x)= 5/16+15/32(cos2x)+3/16(cos4x)+1/32(cos6x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted to use the formula cos^2(x)=(1+cos2x)/(2), and square both sides, then use it again for the square roots, then multiply the answer by (1+cos2x)/(2) again thus making the left side cos^6.....not getting the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org

i think I am on the right trrack?

You mean cos^2 (x) on the left?

hey...the original proof is cos^6(x) on the left side

i get to a certain point where i get like...cos^2(4x) times cos (2x) wth a bunch of other stuff on the left...but i don't knwo what to do with it

Oh yeah, should have read it more closely. I haven't tried it out yet, but if you know the left is function of cos x only, you should repeatedly apply the double angle cos and sin formula to change everything to functions of sin x and cos x. Then express those functions of sin x as functions of cos x. It should all cancel out.

lol its cool...so wadda u think? do you get what i tried to do? like is it clear when i explained it?

thats what i keep doing...

I just proved it using the approach suggested earlier. Just convert everything on the right to a function of cos x. A lot of terms will cancel out to give cos^6 x.

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is always true for any value of the variables involved. It is used to simplify or solve trigonometric expressions or equations.

2. How many trig identities are there?

There are an infinite number of trigonometric identities, as new ones can be derived from existing ones.

3. What is the purpose of "Yet another trig identity"?

The purpose of "Yet another trig identity" is to provide another useful identity that can simplify or solve trigonometric expressions or equations.

4. How do I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate and rearrange the terms of one side of the identity until it matches the other side. This can be done using algebraic and trigonometric properties and identities.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using trig identities?

Yes, some common mistakes when using trig identities include forgetting to use the correct sign or angle measure, not simplifying expressions properly, and starting with the more complex side of the identity instead of the simpler side.