Advice on choosing my physics undergraduate institution

In summary, as a senior in high school, you are currently in the process of choosing a college with the intent of majoring in physics and pursuing a PhD in Astronomy. Your choices have come down to two universities: a large state school with a strong physics program but no astronomy courses or research, and a small state school with a lesser-known physics program but three astronomy faculty, an astronomy major, and ongoing research. While neither school may be ideal for your goals, it may be beneficial to choose the small school with some astronomy courses and research opportunities, as this could make you a more competitive candidate for astronomy PhD programs. Ultimately, it is important to not get hung up on prestige and instead focus on the quality and opportunities available at each school.
grove339
Im a senior in high school who is currently going through the process of choosing a college with the intent of majoring physics, then getting a phd in Astronomy. I sincerely want to become an astronomer and have my choices down to two universities.

One is a large state school with a well regarded physics program and solid physics research. However, their last astronomy professor retired which means they no longer have any astronomy courses and no longer have any ongoing astronomy research. Yet, there research in other fields is quite respectable and it overall is a pretty good university.

School number 2, on the other hand, is a small, dinky state school that is not well regarded in physics-I guarantee you haven't heard of it. Yet, they have 3 astronomy faculty, offer an astronomy major- though I would also major in physics- and have ongoing astronomy research.

Essentially, my question comes down to should I go to the school with no astronomy program but has a solid physics program, or should I choose the school that is pretty puny physics department, but actually has on going astronomy research and offers a major.

Any advice is helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are these your only two choices? Neither is ideal for your goals.

You want to go to the school with the highest quality program that you can. You have told us School 2 is small, but not that it's of poor quality. The two are not the same.

Are you focusing on those two schools because they're in-state and finances are a concern?

Sticking with those two schools only, if the small school offers a physics major that covers the core topics that graduate schools expect (advanced courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics / statistical mechanics), plus a few electives, then I would go there. If you apply for an astronomy Ph.D. program, it will look a lot better if you have some astronomy courses and some experience in astronomy research, than if you have none at all. Your professors are more likely to get to know you better at a small school, so it will be easier for you to make yourself visible to them, and for them to write good personalized letters of recommendation for you.

Astronomy is a smaller field than physics, so I would expect that many graduate astronomy departments will be aware of it despite its size, if it is active in research and turns out astronomy graduates consistently.

Don't get hung up on "prestige" issues. Lots of people graduate from small "unknown" schools, go on to graduate school, and have careers.

Last edited:

Related to Advice on choosing my physics undergraduate institution

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a physics undergraduate institution?

When choosing a physics undergraduate institution, you should consider factors such as the quality and reputation of the physics program, the availability of research opportunities, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the location and campus environment, and the financial cost of attending.

2. How important is the ranking of the physics program in my decision?

The ranking of a physics program can be a helpful factor to consider, but it should not be the sole determining factor. Other factors such as the faculty, research opportunities, and campus environment should also be considered. It is important to find a program that fits your individual needs and interests, rather than solely relying on rankings.

3. Should I choose a large research university or a smaller liberal arts college for my physics degree?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Larger research universities tend to have more resources and opportunities for research, while smaller colleges may offer a more intimate and personalized learning experience. Consider what type of learning environment you thrive in and what opportunities are most important to you.

4. Is it necessary to attend a prestigious institution for my physics degree?

Attending a prestigious institution can certainly have its benefits, such as access to top-notch research opportunities and networking connections. However, it is not necessary to attend a prestigious institution to have a successful career in physics. What matters most is the quality of education and opportunities you receive at the institution, not its name.

5. How can I gather information about different physics undergraduate institutions?

You can gather information about different physics undergraduate institutions by visiting their websites, attending college fairs and information sessions, speaking with current students and alumni, and researching their faculty and research opportunities. It can also be helpful to visit the campus in person or take a virtual tour.