Distance from vertex to focus in a parabola

In summary, John is seeking help with a question involving projectiles and parabolas. The coordinates of the vertex of the parabola have been given, and the question requires finding the distance from the vertex to the focus and the equation of the directrix. The distance from the vertex to the focus is equal to the distance from the vertex to the directrix. By converting the original equation to the form (x-h)^2=4p(y-k), the values for p and the equation of the directrix can be found easily.
John 123

Homework Statement

I am a bit rusty on parabolae.
I am doing a question on projectiles and have found the coordinates of the vertex of a parabola as:
[tex]
(\frac{(v_0)^2\sin\alpha\cos\alpha}{g},\frac{(v_0)^2(\sin^2\alpha)}{2g})
[/tex]

The question now requires you to show that the distance from the vertex to the focus is given by:
[tex]
\frac{(v_0)^2(\cos^2\alpha)}{2g}
[/tex]

and that the equation of the directrix is
[tex]
y=\frac{(v_0)^2}{2g}
[/tex]

John

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance from the vertex to the focus is equal to the distance from the vertex to the directrix. So all you have to do is find the perpendicular distance between the directrix and vertex (thus, the directrix is going to be vertically above the vertex and focus in this case).

Many thanks Mentallic
My apologies but I did not include the original equation in my original post.
However, I have now solved the problem by converting the original equation by completing the square etc into the form:
[tex]
(x-h)^2=4p(y-k)
[/tex]
where (h,k) are the vertex coordinates and p is the distance from the vertex to the focus.
I was then able to find p and then the equation of the directrix.
John

Ahh hehe I was going to say! For a second there I thought you were going to take a very complicated and winding road when all that needs to be done is simple distance calculations :smile:

1. What is the distance from the vertex to the focus in a parabola?

The distance from the vertex to the focus in a parabola is known as the focus length. It is equal to half of the length of the latus rectum, which is the chord passing through the focus and parallel to the directrix.

2. How do you calculate the focus length in a parabola?

The focus length can be calculated using the formula focus length = 1/4 * |4p|, where p is the distance from the vertex to the directrix.

3. Can the focus length be negative in a parabola?

Yes, the focus length can be negative in a parabola. This happens when the parabola opens downward, and the focus lies below the vertex. In this case, the focus length will be represented as a negative value.

4. How does the distance from the vertex to the focus affect the shape of a parabola?

The distance from the vertex to the focus, also known as the focal length, determines the steepness of the parabola. A shorter focal length results in a steeper parabola, while a longer focal length creates a flatter parabola.

5. Is the distance from the vertex to the focus the same for all parabolas?

No, the distance from the vertex to the focus can vary for different parabolas. It depends on the location of the directrix and the vertex. However, the focal length is constant for all points on the same parabola.