What is the integral of (xsinx)^2?

• Thread starter emin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, another method would be to try an identity, such as the double angle identity for your (sinx)^2. Switch your u=.. and dv=.. around. Another method would be to try an identity, such as the double angle identity for your (sinx)^2.
emin
hi all,
I've been trying to integrate this thing for ages.i tried using integration by parts using u=x^2,
dv/dx=sin^2 x but it just doesn't seem to end.any help or pointers much appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Switch your u=.. and dv=.. around.
Another method would be to try an identity, such as the double angle identity for your (sinx)^2

VeeEight said:
Switch your u=.. and dv=.. around.
Another method would be to try an identity, such as the double angle identity for your (sinx)^2

hmm i hadn't thought of the identity, i'll give it a go.
thanks.

I would use your original u-substitution (u=x2), and then use the half-angle formula for sin2x to integrate the dv. Then after you complete the integration by parts the first time, you'll get a sum of two functions in the integral term. One of them you'll be able to immediately integrate, while for the other one you can use integration by parts again.

i managed to integrate it but i think i may ave made an error.
heres the result:
x^3/4-x^2/2sin2x-x/2cos2x-sin2x/4

don't know how to put it in proper formulae.
anyway thanks for the help.

emin - I come up with a slightly different answer. Can you provide details of your solution. The starting approach I took is as follows:

[tex]
I = \int x^2 \cdot \sin^2(x)\,dx = \int x^2 \cdot \frac{(1-\cos(2x))}{2} \, dx
[/tex]

then let

[tex]
2I = \int x^2 \cdot (1-\cos(2x)) \, dx = \frac{x^3}{3} - I_2
[/tex]

where
[tex]
I_2 = \int x^2 \cdot \cos(2x) \, dx = \int \left (\frac{2x}{2} \right )^2 \cdot \cos(2x) \, d\left ( \frac{2x}{2} \right ) = (1/8) \int s^2 \cdot \cos(s) \, ds
[/tex]

where [itex]s=2x[/itex]

i did get my fractions mixed didn't i?
i was doing it on an a4 page and got all the working jumbled.
yes that is the approach i took, i should be able to run it through mathematica when i get the chance, and see what answer it comes up with.

1. What is the formula for the integral of (xsinx)^2?

The formula for the integral of (xsinx)^2 is ∫(xsinx)^2 dx = (1/4)x^2 - (1/2)xcosxsinx - (1/4)sin^2(x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do I solve the integral of (xsinx)^2?

To solve the integral of (xsinx)^2, you can use the power rule and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression and then integrate it using the formula mentioned above. Alternatively, you can use any mathematical software or calculator to find the result.

3. What is the derivative of (xsinx)^2?

The derivative of (xsinx)^2 is 2xsinxsinx + (x^2 - sin^2(x))cosx = 2xsin^2(x) + xcosx - sin^2(x)cosx.

4. Can the integral of (xsinx)^2 be solved using substitution?

Yes, the integral of (xsinx)^2 can be solved using substitution. You can use the substitution u = xsinx to simplify the expression and then integrate it using the formula mentioned above.

5. What is the area under the curve of (xsinx)^2?

The area under the curve of (xsinx)^2 depends on the limits of integration. Without any limits, the area is infinite. However, with specific limits, the area can be calculated using the integral formula mentioned above.