How can I solve this linear equation with an integrating factor?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, a problem involving 1+xy=xy' was given in class and the teacher got stuck while trying to solve it. After some rearranging and using an integrating factor, the result of (e^-x*y)'=e^-x/x was obtained. However, when trying to integrate, the integral of e^-x/x has no analytic form and thus cannot be solved. It diverges at x=0. It is possible to express y as e^x times an integral, but this does not provide a complete solution.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My teacher gave us this problem in class and then when she went to show us how to solve, she got stuck too!

[tex] 1+xy = xy' [/tex]

after some rearranging and dividing we have

[tex] y' - y = 1/x [/tex]

we used an integrating factor of [tex] e^ {-x} [/tex]

and got the result of [tex] (e^ {-x}y)' = e^ {-x}/x [/tex]

integrating gives [tex] (e^ {-x}y) = {\int e^ {-x}/x \dx}[/tex]

and that's about where we got stuck. Integration by parts just took us in a loop.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
My teacher gave us this problem in class and then when she went to show us how to solve, she got stuck too!

[tex] 1+xy = xy' [/tex]

after some rearranging and dividing we have

[tex] y' - y = 1/x [/tex]

we used an integrating factor of [tex] e^ {-x} [/tex]

and got the result of [tex] (e^ {-x}y)' = e^ {-x}/x [/tex]

integrating gives [tex] (e^ {-x}y) = {\int e^ {-x}/x \dx}[/tex]

and that's about where we got stuck. Integration by parts just took us in a loop.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I think you/she got stuck there because the integral of [tex]{e^ {-x}/x \dx}[/tex] has no analytic form - it diverges at x=0

Last edited:
Thanks, Gokul.

so as far as the solution for y , do you just throw up your hands and say "OK, divergent, can't be solved since the integral won't converge" or can you express y as something like this and call that the solution?

[tex] y = {e^ {x}\int e^ {-x}/x \dx}[/tex]

Gokul43201 said:
I think you/she got stuck there because the integral of [tex]{e^ {-x}/x \dx}[/tex] has no analytic form - it diverges at x=0

You are correct about both of those statements, but I think I should clarify by saying that one has nothing to do with the other. The integral of exp(-x2) has no analytic form, and it doesn't diverge anywhere. Conversely, the integral of tan(x) does have an analytic form, and it diverges at (2n+1)π/2, for any integer n.

Math Is Hard,

Yes, you can leave an integral as part of a solution.

Thanks, Tom.

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is a mathematical expression that describes a relationship between two variables that can be graphed as a straight line. It typically takes the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. What are the most common types of trouble encountered when solving linear equations?

The most common types of trouble encountered when solving linear equations include forgetting to distribute a negative sign, making a mistake when combining like terms, and misapplying the rules of order of operations.

3. How can I check if I have solved a linear equation correctly?

You can check if you have solved a linear equation correctly by substituting your solution back into the original equation and making sure that it satisfies the equation. You can also graph the equation and see if the coordinates of your solution point lie on the line.

4. What are some strategies for solving linear equations?

Some strategies for solving linear equations include isolating the variable on one side of the equation, using inverse operations to undo addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and checking your solution for accuracy.

5. Are there any real-life applications of linear equations?

Yes, linear equations have many real-life applications, such as calculating the cost of a phone plan based on the number of minutes used, determining the speed of a moving object, and predicting the growth of a population over time.