Hydraulics Engineering: Why does Velocity stay the same when Roughness

In summary: The Darcy-Weisbach formula for head losses is commonly used in this type of analysis because it takes into account the roughness of the pipes in determining the overall head loss in the system.In summary, when running a network analysis using the E.P.A.'s EPAnet program, changing the roughness of a main pipe connecting a reservoir to a junction will only affect the pressure in the network, not the velocity. This is because the energy supplied by the reservoir remains constant, so the pressure changes to account for the increased head losses. However, changing the roughness of an internal pipe will affect both pressure and velocity because the energy supplied by the reservoir is not enough to compensate for the increased head losses. This principle is related to
cdux
I used the E.P.A.'s EPAnet program to run a network analysis. I noticed that if I change the roughness of the main pipe connecting the reservoir with the first junction, the pressures do change on the network but all the velocities are same!

Also if I do change the roughness on an internal different pipe, pressures but also velocities change.

Why does it have that behavior? I heard that it's related to the supply remaining the same and I will look into it but I was also wondering for more sources of information.

I'm particularly surprised of the fact the main pipe's roughness change doesn't change any velocity on the network (even though it does change pressures) but an internal pipe's roughness affects both.

Formula for head losses used: Darcy-W. I was instructed it's the most suitable.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason for the behavior you see is related to the principle of conservation of energy. The supply of energy remains constant in a closed system, so when a change is made to one part of the system, it affects the other parts of the system in order to maintain equilibrium. In the case of the roughness of the main pipe, the change only affected the pressure in the network because the velocity remained unchanged. This is because the energy supplied by the reservoir is the same regardless of the roughness of the pipe. The supply of energy must remain constant, so the pressure changes in order to account for the additional head losses due to friction caused by the increased roughness.On the other hand, when the roughness of an internal pipe changes, both the pressure and velocity change. This is because the energy supplied by the reservoir is not enough to account for the additional head losses caused by the increased roughness. Therefore, the velocity decreases in order to maintain equilibrium and conserve energy.

1. Why does velocity stay the same in hydraulics engineering when roughness increases?

In hydraulics engineering, the roughness of a surface refers to its texture or unevenness. When roughness increases, it creates more resistance to the flow of water. However, according to Bernoulli's Principle, as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This means that the decrease in pressure due to the increased roughness is counteracted by the increase in velocity, resulting in a constant velocity.

2. How does roughness affect the flow of water in hydraulics engineering?

Roughness plays a significant role in the flow of water in hydraulics engineering. It creates frictional resistance, causing a decrease in the velocity of the fluid. This is because the roughness of a surface disrupts the smooth flow of water and creates turbulence, which requires more energy to overcome. As a result, roughness can impact the efficiency and performance of hydraulic systems.

3. Is there a limit to how much roughness can affect the velocity of water in hydraulics engineering?

Yes, there is a limit to how much roughness can affect the velocity of water in hydraulics engineering. This limit is known as the critical velocity, which is the maximum velocity that a fluid can maintain before it transitions from laminar flow to turbulent flow. Once the critical velocity is reached, any further increase in roughness will not significantly affect the velocity of the fluid.

4. Can the roughness of a surface be controlled in hydraulics engineering?

Yes, the roughness of a surface can be controlled in hydraulics engineering. Engineers use various methods, such as smoothing the surface or adding coatings, to reduce the roughness of a surface and minimize its impact on the flow of water. The goal is to create a smooth and streamlined surface that allows for efficient and consistent flow of water.

5. How do engineers account for roughness in the design of hydraulic systems?

Engineers account for roughness in the design of hydraulic systems by considering it as a factor that affects the performance and efficiency of the system. They use mathematical models and simulations to predict the impact of roughness on the flow of water and make adjustments to optimize the design. Additionally, engineers may also conduct experiments and tests to measure the roughness of surfaces and ensure that it meets the desired specifications for the system.