My physics teacher doesn't teach Physics.

In summary, the guy in the class branding himself as a "learning assistor" requires us to learn the material on our own. He doesn't teach and has a test tomorrow.
Revolver
It's true. First day of class he branded himself as a "learning assistor" and he wasn't kididng. He literally doesn't teach and requires us to read the book and learn it on our own. I have a test tomorrow, and I don't have a textbook (problems with ebay) but I do have review sheets so I have a few questions:

Magnitude: What is the formula for calculating it?

Given that a force extends from the origin to (120 N, -60 N) find the magnitude of the vector.

Ok well to be honest, I have no idea how to do this problem :D I think you draw a graph and then draw the vector between 120, -60?

Here's another one:

Vector A has a magnitude of 3.0 units and makes an angle of -90.0 with the positive x-axis, vector B has a magnitude of 4.0 units and makes an angle of -120 with the positive x-axis. What is the direction of the vector sum of A+B referenced to the positive x-axis?

I think the wording confuses me here. I know to draw a graph, and vector A is on the y-axis going downward (negative) and is 3 uints long. Vector B, I'm not sure which way to draw it... does it go in quadrant III or IV? Anyway, because i know its 120 degrees, that means the intersection o fA and B is 30 degrees.. but I'm not sure what hte problem means by what is the direction of the vector sum...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Just to add on, you will need to know your Trigonometry quite well to do these type of question. Namely Pythagorus theorem, sine and cosine rule.

BTW vector B is in 3rd quadrant

I have a test (today!) and I have no idea when my book will becoming so I really need to learn this. I thought about this problem more and here's what I've come up with:

so I draw a vector from origin (0,0) to (120, -60), an dfrom there I draw a line down to complete the right triangle. So now I have hte opposite and adjacent being 120 and 60 units in length, so from here I can use sin and cosine to solve it? Or pythagorem theorem to solve it?

Pythagorean theorem if you're solving for the magnitude of the vector.

Create a Free Home User Trial account on

http://www.explorelearning.com/index.cfm?method=Controller.dspTrialPromo"

to gain access to the Gizmo's (otherwise there is a five minute limit on their use, which is too short to learn anything). Go to the Physics Gizmo's in the Science category. Click on the Motion and Force link. You will see a Vectors Gizmo there. Launch it.

Drag the origin of the vectors to the origin of the coordinate systems. You can also change the direction and magnitude of the vectors by dragging their heads (the cursor changes to a hand). These Gizmos are very effective learning tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why does my physics teacher not teach physics effectively?

There could be several reasons why your physics teacher may not be teaching effectively. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the subject, lack of interest or passion, or inadequate teaching techniques. It is important to communicate your concerns with your teacher and discuss ways to improve the learning experience.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics if my teacher is not teaching it well?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of physics, even if your teacher is not teaching it effectively. You can seek help from other teachers or tutors, join study groups with classmates, utilize online resources, and actively engage in self-study and practice problems.

3. Should I talk to my teacher about their teaching methods?

Yes, it is important to communicate your concerns with your teacher about their teaching methods. They may not be aware of the impact of their teaching on students and may be open to suggestions for improvement. It is important to have a respectful and open conversation to improve the learning experience for everyone.

4. Is it normal for a teacher to struggle with teaching a subject?

Yes, it is normal for a teacher to struggle with teaching a subject. Teaching is a continuous learning process, and even the most experienced teachers may face challenges in teaching certain subjects. However, it is important for teachers to continuously strive to improve their teaching methods to effectively communicate the subject to their students.

5. How can I make the most out of my physics class if my teacher is not teaching it effectively?

Even if your teacher is not teaching physics effectively, there are still ways to make the most out of your class. You can actively participate in class discussions, ask questions, take notes, and seek additional resources to supplement your learning. It is also important to maintain a positive attitude and not let a single teacher hinder your interest in the subject.