What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
catabelle said:
we're not saying they dont/arent..there are lots of attractive people in the world who are clever too. we're speaking in generalisations, which is what most forums are about, its generalising as if you took every case individually it'd be a proper study, but I am only giving my general observations
Check out our member photo thread. Be prepared to drool. :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
catabelle said:
we're not saying they dont/arent..there are lots of attractive people in the world who are clever too. we're speaking in generalisations, which is what most forums are about, its generalising as if you took every case individually it'd be a proper study, but I am only giving my general observations

Perhaps we should run a proper study. It might help settle this once and for all.

Evo said:
The men on here all seem to have very attractive wives, girlfriends and boyfriends. And a lot of those women are also scientists.

Tough luck for the married gays

Office_Shredder said:
Tough luck for the married gays
Ooops, and the married gay spouses. I forgot that marriage is finally being allowed.

1. intellectually stimulating
2. physically attractive
3. spiritually enriching*

(atheist view, not religious. Spiritually enriching, as in, likes to do a lot of different things and interact with the world directly: adventurous, likes to explore, etc)

Pythagorean said:
1. intellectually stimulating
2. physically attractive
3. spiritually enriching*

(atheist view, not religious. Spiritually enriching, as in, likes to do a lot of different things and interact with the world directly: adventurous, likes to explore, etc)

edit:
order isn't meant to imply importance. All three are equally important.

I have to agree there.

A lot of people will call you boldfacedly shallow for including physically attractive on the list, but it's just one of those things that has to be there.

I really like the third point. Unless that person likes to do things, there's no point in being with them. It would just be...boring.

And no I'm not talking about sex there.

Pythagorean said:
2. physically attractive
You're boldfacedly shallow!

Haha..i think that list of 3 is what everyone looks for in a partner, geek or not, male or female, without those things it'd never be the relationship I think most of us hope for.
Yeah I did check out the photo thread hehe..as for a proper study, well i think this would come back to how you measure attractiveness? I'm not sure there is a way in which you can once and for all measure how attractive someone is, because everyone likes different things don't they. I am only reffering to the typical idea of beauty, which of course, not everyone actually likes. And that, can only be a thing to celebrate eh.

Yeah, when it comes to physical beauty everyone has their own particular likes/dislikes.

Lancelot59 said:
Yeah, when it comes to physical beauty everyone has their own particular likes/dislikes.
True, I like skinny, non-muscular guys with longer hair and glasses. :!)

Evo said:

so does my baby's mama!

Face it - some guys are so shy they need an intrepid girl to ask them out. That can bring out natural communication where there was insecurity. (Look at "A Beautiful Mind.")

If there is a next time, hint that it would be for the guy to reciprocate.

Evo said:

Boy, do I have the perfect man for you ... :biggrin:

We do have quite a few here to pick from.

For me, most importantly, she has to have class.

I guess "class" is like a package of intelligence, good looks, confidence, style, and, as was mentioned before, risk-taking.

Much like Audrey Hepburn or that gorgeous dame from the new Stella Artois commercial.

But then again, I'll never get either one, so :)

thats a good answer sermatt.. class is something i think is important generally. Audrey hepburn as holly golightly has all those things..just a shame she was basically a hooker that didnt put out..maybe that takes away from the class hehe.
And don't put yourself down eh, you wouldn't want hepburn these days anyway..!

Evo said:
I would just go up to them and ask "where are you taking me Friday night?" It always worked.

Blimey I'd run for the hills in a state of shock. Than again, I'm a British nerd. That's a whole new level of nerdiness!

Hey! It worked on me and I'm a nerd too. :tongue:

Just noticed this, so figured I'd reply...

Topher925 said:
I am a nerdy guy who is 23 and in college. I have 3 qualities that I look for in a girl.

1. Intelligents
2. Ambition
3. Atheist

Intelligents is a big one for me.

I think it's quite ironic that a guy looking for intelligence in a girl doesn't know how to spell it!

I also like a girl who has ambition in life, for example pursuing a PhD or wanting to become a research scientist or doctor or something of the sort.

Sorry, but why does "ambition" equate to either doing a PhD or wanting to be a doctor? That's an incredibly naive viewpoint.

I honestly have never met a girl that met all three of these qualities, which is why I haven't had a gf in the past couple years.

That's not all that surprising, given that you have an incredibly restrictive set of criteria that one must meet!

Just for your information, what non nerdy guys -like me- look for in a girl is hard to explain in words so i will provide you with the following visual example :

http://www.topnews.in/files/JenniferLoveHewitt.jpg

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
i like long legs and a high IQ.

Beauty.
Class.
Wearing a Dress.

KingNothing said:
Beauty.
Class.
Wearing a Dress.

:approve:

marlon

mal4mac said:
Blimey I'd run for the hills in a state of shock. Than again, I'm a British nerd. That's a whole new level of nerdiness!

I do agree with this, british nerds are a different kettle of fish altogether from american ones, so I've found anyway. But this is no bad thing, I love english nerds..which is just as well, as I am english myself!

This thread is great, everytime i check it it's making me laugh!

Boobies. Nerdy guys like boobies.

drankin said:
boobies. Nerdy guys like boobies.

:-) ...

Kurdt said:
Hey! It worked on me and I'm a nerd too. :tongue:
And you're a British nerd, but you're my nerd. :approve:

I've always been attracted to women who are into natural sciences. One time a girl I took out on a first date mentioned the word 'Precambrian' when I told her I collect fossils.

I immediately fell in love.

Evo said:
ZOMG Evo! Gimme your number!:!)

One thing that really gets my goat though, is some guys in my classes who whine about how girls don't like them because of their looks but all they care about in a potential date is 'she has to be hot and not a fattie'.

...What?

MissSilvy said:
One thing that really gets my goat though, is some guys in my classes who whine about how girls don't like them because of their looks but all they care about in a potential date is 'she has to be hot and not a fattie'.

...What?

There's a lot of stipulation in our culture that men are more concerned with looks and women are more concerned with personality.

Pythagorean said:
There's a lot of stipulation in our culture that men are more concerned with looks and women are more concerned with personality.

Which is a bit of a lie and a bad double standard. Common sense, anyone? It sounds like the kind of crap published in those books for people who want to become 'players' or whatever perverts are doing these days.

And everyone thinks they have a wonderful personality. Looks are somewhat harder to b.s.

Even here in Arlington, VA (55% female) many guys are so proud as not to ask women out unless they are a "ten." One of them must be unattainable.

I used to be a "nerd-jock-head-punk" but now I prefer nerd to any other. I see nerd as most respectable.

Loren Booda said:
One of them must be unattainable.
Indeed, because you don't want to wind up in a "the hunt was better than the catch" type of situation.

marlon

MissSilvy said:
Which is a bit of a lie and a bad double standard. Common sense, anyone? It sounds like the kind of crap published in those books for people who want to become 'players' or whatever perverts are doing these days.

And everyone thinks they have a wonderful personality. Looks are somewhat harder to b.s.

I'm not sure what you mean but it is true that men (there are exceptions) are more "sexually" attracted to attractive women (hence the term). I don't think it's a cultural thing, I think it's a nature thing.