What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
clustro said:
What? What's wrong with what I said? :/

Nothing. Except you want so many things that even reading the list was painful :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
DanP said:
Nothing. Except you want so many things that even reading the list was painful :smile:

Yeah that too.

Current: Plunkster - Biblecode Sundays

Last edited by a moderator:
clustro said:
Read, think, then type.

Read, note that this is the internet, then type. ;-)

I have three drunk post credits in the bank by the way.
Happy Paddy's ****ers. :-p

clustro said:
Reading comes hard to some people, but with practice you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Look at the first sentence I wrote.

"This isn't a "checklist"...just some rough guidelines:"

Read, think, then type.

:bugeye::bugeye:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Yeah that too.

Current: Plunkster - Biblecode Sundays

Makes me want to grab an Jameson.

clustro said:
DanP said:
Nothing. Except you want so many things that even reading the list was painful

Reading comes hard to some people, but with practice you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Look at the first sentence I wrote.

"This isn't a "checklist"...just some rough guidelines:"

Read, think, then type.

:confused:

Your belittling attitude is repugnant and unnecessary.

DanP called your post a list, not a checklist. How ironic that you attempt to take him to task for not reading your post! The post to which DanP is referring is clearly a list. I don't see how you can call it anything else.

Dembadon said:
:confused:

Your belittling attitude is repugnant and unnecessary.

DanP called your post a list, not a checklist. How ironic that you attempt to take him to task for not reading your post! The post to which DanP is referring is clearly a list. I don't see how you can call it anything else.

I don't really give a rat's rear end what you think, sir.

clustro said:

there's nothing wrong with your list, but it does sound like you want a girl with a lot of traditionally male traits.

Proton Soup said:
there's nothing wrong with your list, but it does sound like you want a girl with a lot of traditionally male traits.

On what do you base that claim?

clustro said:
On what do you base that claim?

it's not one thing, so much as the whole, but primarily i'd say items 5, 8, and 10, and perhaps 2.

clustro said:

Clustro, you should consider whether this is the right forum for you. While people have taken issue with the list you posted, they are attacking the argument, not the arguer. You, on the other hand are growing increasingly insulting of the people rather than taking issue with the argument.

That is strictly against forum rules - which you agreed to when you registered. If it continues, measures will be taken.

Foul or hostile language will not be tolerated on Physics Forums. This includes profanity, obscenity, or obvious indecent language; direct personal attacks or insults; snide remarks or phrases that appear to be an attempt to "put down" another member; and other indirect attacks on a member's character or motives.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

DaveC426913 said:
If it continues, measures will be taken.
Dun dun DAAAAAAAAH!

Although I will say he has a point. I get turned off by 'girly girls', but there is a certain limit that I find acceptable.

DaveC426913 said:
Clustro, you should consider whether this is the right forum for you. While people have taken issue with the list you posted, they are attacking the argument, not the arguer. You, on the other hand are growing increasingly insulting of the people rather than taking issue with the argument.

That is strictly against forum rules - which you agreed to when you registered. If it continues, measures will be taken.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

What "argument" did I even make in my post? Its a list of qualities I find attractive in women; its not up for debate, discussion, suggestion, or refinement. The original poster asked a question, and I answered it.

Yeah, I get mad about this kind of stuff easily. I don't appreciate being talked-down to, like I am some naive moron, by random people on the internet. I knew people were going to give me grief if I made a huge Total Recall-esque "dream list", so that why I clearly stated in the first line of the post that the list was a rough guideline.

Of course, it would be more fun to ignore that line and pretend I was saying something I wasn't, so some people chose to ignore that line and misrepresent what I said. Obviously the mature thing to do. I don't even know why I bothered to post - obvious trolls have trolled.

EDIT: Proton Soup, the only one I can kind of agree with is being socially libertarian and economically conservative. Women like to spend :/. However, I have met many women with the aforementioned qualities (though not all qualities at once, unfortunately).

clustro said:
Women like to spend :/

Now THAT is a fact. Not to say that most of the women I know like to ditch their cash, they just like to get new stuff, which in turn burns money.

One of the reasons why I really avoid girly girls, they're typically very materialistic.

clustro said:
What "argument" did I even make in my post?
An argument is simply a particular term for statements. It's a common terminology.

If you like, it can be restated as 'attack the statements not the stater'.

Evo said:
I always had to ask the nerdy guys out myself. I would just go up to them and ask "where are you taking me Friday night?" It always worked. You will find that nerdy guys will answer a direct question.
Herein lies the answer. Nerds are people too, with varied tastes, but the common denominator is the ability to be so fiercely absorbed in something else as to completely overlook the subtle nuances of human interaction. Don't wink, don't flirt, don't plan to be in the right place at the right time; if these are noticed at all, they're easily explainable by other phenomena. Get to the point.

What's great about Evo's particular phrasing is that it's not an indirect request that can be explained away (e.g. "I want to see this movie, but don't have anyone to go with." "What about your roommate?"), and it's not a direct request that can be thoughtlessly mishandled (e.g. "Wanna go out some time?" "You talking to me? You mean, like, on a date?"). Instead, it's a direct request that requires parsing. Received spontaneously, it's curious and engaging, requiring thought power, which will most assuredly lead him to the exact desired interpretation.

It's perfect.

deleted

Last edited:
DanP said:
Nothing It's more fascinating than a man who draws his own self-portrait after a discussion in which he never was attacked in any way whatsoever by anyone. No one considered you naive. Not until now.

Dan, Clustro's ad hominem diatribe as already been deleted as inappropriate. Let's let this die rather than dragging out the bickering. It would be a shame if a thread of 34 pages and counting got locked.

DaveC426913 said:
An argument is simply a particular term for statements. It's a common terminology.

If you like, it can be restated as 'attack the statements not the stater'.

While I think that he overreacted I can see where a person could take it personally when someone "attacks" the particular characteristics they find pleasing in a mate.

[itex]1*10^5[/itex] views, here we come, right?

SPEAKING of characteristics people find pleasing in a mate...

How high do you all rate looks, personality, intelligence, and emotional stability?

Put the four in order, if you would.

DaveC426913 said:
Dan, Clustro's ad hominem diatribe as already been deleted as inappropriate. Let's let this die rather than dragging out the bickering. It would be a shame if a thread of 34 pages and counting got locked.

I, agree, it's a nice thread. I deleted the inappropriate content.

Char. Limit said:

How high do you all rate looks, personality, intelligence, and emotional stability?

Emotional stability is pretty much contained in personality. It is basically neuroticism in the "five factor model" of personality.

TheStatutoryApe said:
While I think that he overreacted I can see where a person could take it personally when someone "attacks" the particular characteristics they find pleasing in a mate.
I agree, it's essentially just saying "your values are stupid".

Char. Limit said:

Personality > looks > intelligence > emotional stability.

In fact, I think emotional instability is cute, I like people that get angry a lot and are cute when they are angry. Also, intelligence is just extremely vague, I value open-mindedness over intelligence. Or rather, I value the property of people that they don't start defending aggressively dogmata they only have because they were simply raised to believe them and realize that moral is relative.

Also, I like a bit of self-reflexion and awareness of the world around them, I like it when people realize they make a self fulfilling prophecy, I like it when people realize that if their friends gossip about another friend, surely they must gossip about them too if they aren't there?

Also, subtlety.

When she kills you in your sleep for not taking the dishes out of the dishwasher, you will wish you put emotional stability at the top of the list.

MotoH said:
When she kills you in your sleep for not taking the dishes out of the dishwasher, you will wish you put emotional stability at the top of the list.

:rofl:

It's funny and it's true.

I had a crazy once. I only thank my lucky stars that, when she succumbed to her rage, it was her own head over which she smashed a clay flowerpot, and not mine...

MotoH said:
I sleep with my eyes open. I could recommend it to anyone, the quaestion's not if you're too paranoid, rather if you aren't paranoid enough.

Also, when she kills you at all you put personality on top, and when you die because of her incompetence to realize the hazards of electricity you put intelligence on top, your point being?

MotoH said:

If you keep making me laugh out loud, I shall be forced to vote for you in PF's Best Humor Award for 2010. Consider yourself warned.

DaveC426913 said:
:rofl:

It's funny and it's true.

I had a crazy once. I only thank my lucky stars that, when she succumbed to her rage, it was her own head over which she smashed a clay flowerpot, and not mine...

I've yet to get to know a woman and find that she isn't at least a little bit crazy. If it's not an overwhelming and completely irrational fear of something then they must be a habitual liar, banging their head on a wall after sex , wishing that they could be a vampire, pretending to have multiple personality disorder, or who knows what.

Aggression is a different thing than emotional instability though.

I like people to be not that praedictable, if people are it becomes boring. Ironically, I'm probably the single most praedictable person on the planet, I basically have next to no different moods, I still listen to every music I ever listened to, never acquired or lost a taste, at every different moment I like the same things, reply the same thing to the same quaestion, I'm like a functional programming language. And I find these kind of people extremely boring, I like surprises.

i seem to be attracted to crazy, and it tends not to work out well in the end, as it becomes contagious. I've got to seriously consider choosing the bottom two points on the relationship triangle.

Proton Soup said:
i seem to be attracted to crazy, and it tends not to work out well in the end, as it becomes contagious. I've got to seriously consider choosing the bottom two points on the relationship triangle.
That's a flaw of mine as well. Knowing where it stems from makes it just that little bit more annoying.

Proton Soup said:

Uh, we're not talkin' "zany" dancing barefoot in the fountain crazy. We're talkin' prescription antidepressant 4AM sojourns in 2 feet of snow through suburbs chasing a hysterical person who's in nothing but pyjamas the night before your big exam crazy.

DaveC426913 said:
Uh, we're not talkin' "zany" dancing barefoot in the fountain crazy. We're talkin' prescription antidepressant 4AM sojourns in 2 feet of snow through suburbs chasing a hysterical person who's in nothing but pyjamas the night before your big exam crazy.

Whoa. That sounds like the voice of experience talking.

Although this really makes me want to tell the story about a guy I was dating when I was 18. I was living on my own by then. He was more than a little nuts. There was the time he stranded me in Fitzroy Provincial Park in the middle of the night and I had to walk to the ranger station so I could call my sister to come and get me. We were supposed to be camping, I went for a walk, came back to the campsite, and the tent, supplies, car, everything was gone. He decided that he'd "lost" me, and packed up and drove back to the city. I wasn't gone that long. The park rangers laughed at me. My sister yelled at me all the way back to the city when she came and picked me up.

Then there was the time that I was at a friend's place in the far, far east end, out in suburbia (I lived in Ottawa then) after his sister and I had signed said fellow to the local psychiatric hospital earlier that afternoon. He signed himself out that evening, made his way to my sister's place, and sat on the grass on my sister's front lawn, howling my name to the moon. My sister, genius that she was, phoned me and told me that I'd better come to her place (I didn't have a car and she lived on the Quebec side of Ottawa) and get him off of her lawn. I told her to phone the police.

But, so yeah. Attracting crazy. Jeez I can tell stories. If nothing else, guys, don't worry, it's not just you. There seems to be an over abundance of flipped out males on the planet too.

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
But, so yeah. Attracting crazy. Jeez I can tell stories. If nothing else, guys, don't worry, it's not just you. There seems to be an over abundance of flipped out males on the planet too.

I'm your hell, I'm your dream, I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way