Identify Unknown Bug Found in Ampicillin Starter Culture

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary, a spore forming bacteria was found in a culture obtained from a starter culture. The bacteria is difficult to kill, and only bleach can kill it.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm hoping someone with more experience can help us identify these:

[PLAIN]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4836/1ugmlamp2crop2.jpg

This image was acquired at 40X phase contrast.

This summer, we have been trying to amplify a plasmid (provided by Monique) in E. coli. We have colonies on plates, the control plate is clear (LB agar + 50 ug/ml ampicillin), but our starter cultures have been... disagreeable.

The image above is from a starter culture obtained by innoculating LB broth + 10 ug/ml ampicillin with a single colony from the LB/ampicillin plate. The rods are (most likely) E. coli, but we don't know what those bulbous bugs are.

Unfortunately, there are bacteria that are naturally resistant to ampicillin- Pseudomonas and Klebsiella, both of which will appear similar to E coli- so we haven't ruled out contamination.

If anyone can identify what we have, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I see measuring spoons, sunglasses, bowling pins, a spoon, a magnifying lens. Hope that helps. :smile:

Unfortunately I can't identify what that is for you, recently I've had problems of my own with contamination (serial fungal infections in incubators; not cool). In spite of repeated attempts at using different antifungals in the media eventually I had to admit defeat, destroy everything, deep clean the lab (again) and defrost new stocks.

We think they are bacterial spores. We're trying to locate the source of contamination- hopefully it's not from the plasmid dot blot.

Bacterial spores are really hard to get rid of...

Evo said:
I see measuring spoons, sunglasses, bowling pins, a spoon, a magnifying lens. Hope that helps. :smile:

Aaaahahah...except for the sunglasses, that's what I saw, too o:)!

We got confirmation that these are spores. It appears the original blot is ok, so the contamination is somewhere else (that's good news). The timing for this is pretty good, actually- I'm leaving for vacation at the end of today, so we had been planning on shutting everything down anyway.

What I found is that spores are not killed by EtOH, UV, quaternary ammonium compounds, etc- the only thing that seems to work is 10% bleach. I'll spray everything down and start fresh in 2 weeks.

Andy Resnick said:
We got confirmation that these are spores. It appears the original blot is ok, so the contamination is somewhere else (that's good news). The timing for this is pretty good, actually- I'm leaving for vacation at the end of today, so we had been planning on shutting everything down anyway.

What I found is that spores are not killed by EtOH, UV, quaternary ammonium compounds, etc- the only thing that seems to work is 10% bleach. I'll spray everything down and start fresh in 2 weeks.
Well good thing you've found the contamination was not in the original. Also pretty good that this coincides with you're vacation. Hopefully things will be better next time.

Andy, sorry for the late reply. They are indeed spores. Or more precisely, they are live spore forming bacteria (not in a vegetative spore state).

My bet is probably on a Bacillus spp. as they are common environmental and skin organisms and spore formers. As you have surmised, spore forming bacteria can be incredibly tough to kill--Due to the nature of the bacterial spore itself.

You could be in luck though. A couple things can help us pin this down for you. Lots of those spore formers, like the Bacillus spp. I'm guessing it is, are gram positive rods--While your E. coli is a gram negative rod. GNR and GPRs have different native antibiotic resistances, which you can possibly use to your advantage.

If it is a Bacillus spp. you could add vancomycin to your media which will inhibit growth of the bacillus spp. (though it won't actually destroy the spores).

If you could, could you post up some gram stain results, a picture of how a colony looks at 24h incubation and a catalase result. That will help with identifying the organism and how you can successfully get rid of it. Short of that, if you know anyone with a Vitek or Microscan, I'd throw it on a ID plate and AST card and go from there.

Edit: And as an after thought, make sure everyone in your lab knows good fundamental sterile working techniques when working with cultures! Its always good for even seasoned veterans to brush up on their sterility practices. It might be beneficial for you hold a little "workshop", especially for any students (grad or undergrad) who will be doing cultures for you. Its easy to get into bad lab technique habits that make problems like contamination a life long drama.

bobze said:
Edit: And as an after thought, make sure everyone in your lab knows good fundamental sterile working techniques when working with cultures! Its always good for even seasoned veterans to brush up on their sterility practices. It might be beneficial for you hold a little "workshop", especially for any students (grad or undergrad) who will be doing cultures for you. Its easy to get into bad lab technique habits that make problems like contamination a life long drama.

Tell me about it! I had a protracted battle with fungal infections in my lab a few months ago. After a thorough deep clean, destruction of stocks and restarting of experiments I still had to tell people off for things like opening the incubator and talking whilst nosing around.

1. What could be the possible reasons for finding an unknown bug in an ampicillin starter culture?

There are a few potential reasons for finding an unknown bug in an ampicillin starter culture. One possibility is that the culture was contaminated with bacteria from the environment during the preparation process. Another possibility is that the starter culture was not properly sterilized before use, allowing for the growth of unknown bacteria. Additionally, it is possible that the starter culture was contaminated during storage or handling.

2. How can I identify the unknown bug found in the ampicillin starter culture?

There are a few methods for identifying an unknown bug found in an ampicillin starter culture. One option is to perform a gram stain to determine the shape and arrangement of the bacteria. Another method is to perform biochemical tests, which can help identify the bacterial species based on their metabolic characteristics. Additionally, genetic sequencing can be used to identify the specific DNA of the bacteria.

3. Can the presence of an unknown bug in the ampicillin starter culture affect the results of my experiment?

Yes, the presence of an unknown bug in the ampicillin starter culture can potentially affect the results of your experiment. Depending on the species and characteristics of the bacteria, it could influence the growth or behavior of the desired bacteria in your experiment. It is important to properly identify and address the unknown bug before proceeding with your experiment.

4. How can I prevent the contamination of my ampicillin starter culture with unknown bacteria?

To prevent contamination of an ampicillin starter culture with unknown bacteria, it is important to follow proper sterile techniques during the preparation process. This includes using sterile equipment, working in a clean environment, and properly sterilizing the culture media. It is also important to properly store and handle the culture to avoid contamination after preparation.

5. What should I do if I find an unknown bug in my ampicillin starter culture?

If you find an unknown bug in your ampicillin starter culture, it is important to properly identify and address the issue before continuing with your experiment. This may involve performing tests to identify the bacteria and then taking appropriate measures to eliminate it, such as using antibiotics or starting with a new, properly sterilized culture. It is also important to thoroughly clean and sterilize any equipment or surfaces that may have come into contact with the contaminated culture.

Back