Why Does Distance Require a Change in Eye Focus?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Peter Watkins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Focus
In summary, the reason why we have to focus is due to the limitations of our eyes in receiving and processing visual information. Unlike light photons that travel at a constant speed, objects at different distances require a change in the shape of the eye's lens to produce a sharp image on the retina. This is because our eyes cannot know the distance of an object and therefore need to adjust the focus based on the information received. As the size of the aperture decreases, the need for focus decreases as well, but this also reduces the amount of light that can be received. Our eyes have evolved to strike a balance between visual acuity and the amount of light needed for survival.
Peter Watkins
Visual information arrives via photons of visible light. These, we are assured, all travel at the same speed and therefore have the same impact. Why then, do those that travel a little further require a change in the shape of the receiving lens? In particular, nearby objects at distances of, say, 3 feet and 6 feet, require a considerable change of focus. This cannot be due to binocular vision as monocular vision also has to be focused.

Biology news on Phys.org
Peter Watkins said:
Visual information arrives via photons of visible light. These, we are assured, all travel at the same speed and therefore have the same impact. Why then, do those that travel a little further require a change in the shape of the receiving lens? In particular, nearby objects at distances of, say, 3 feet and 6 feet, require a considerable change of focus. This cannot be due to binocular vision as monocular vision also has to be focused.

It's just basic optics. See the Lens Equation part-way down this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optics

1/S1 + 1/S2 = 1/f

Peter Watkins said:

Take a optical lens with refractive index similar to the Eye lens, place an object (on one side of the lens ) at two different distances from the lens . For the image of the object to fall on a fixed point or same point both times on other side of lens, the lens has to moved or curvature of the lens has to be changed.

But in a eye, the lens and the retina ( part that absorbs light converts it to signals that is transmitted to the brain ) is fixed, it cannot move. so for objects at different distances for the image to fall on the retina (fixed point ) only the curvature of the lens can be changed (since the lens cannot move).

berkeman said:
It's just basic optics. See the Lens Equation part-way down this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optics

1/S1 + 1/S2 = 1/f

No, I think you're missing the point entirely, berkeman. It has to do with information.

The more information one has at one's disposal, and the more information one has at one's disposal that one is able to process accurately, the greater the liklihood that the organism will be able to survive.

All things else being equal, of course.

The maximum visual acuity of a human is thought to be around 20/10. Hawks, however, have a visual acuity of 20/2, about five times better than we humans.

However, we see better at night than they do, so there's the compromise.

There's always a compromise... Yes, we've simply reached that evolutionary state whereby advancements in one area require compromise in another! And I'm damned glad for it, as it levels the playing field when it comes to arguments concerning the future of mankind, or, for that matter, all living species.

So, "why do we focus?" Because visual acuity long ago became a prime factor in our abilities to both procure our game, cultivate our food, and defend ourselves from our enemies.

Those who'se focal acuity couldn't hack it, died!

Thankfully, given our brains, we figured out many different sociological and physiological ways to help one another overcome poor eyesight, including glasses as well as the differentian of duties not specific to one's acuity. As a result, they continued to contribute to society, so both they and they're progeny survived.

Our society is very unique among those throughout most of the animalia kingdom, in that our blind not only survive, but thrive.

There are nevertheless a few totally blind species of animals which have managed to eak out an existence in the total void of light.

Here's the difference: Our blind do so at our best wishes and support, not our competition! Our human nature has afforded our blind amble opportunity to make their own way.

As a personal note, I've worked with the blind for 24 years, off and on. My uncle hiked the Appalachian Trail with the first blind person to do so, and I rejoiced in their achievement!

So before you throw me off the platform and onto the tracks... Best know where I'm coming from. For goodness sakes, I'm barely, and yet not quote over a moderate corneal abrasion, not to mention the fact I've worked with the blind on multiple occasion, so yes, I understand fulll well what's at stake!

I am simply not the technical expert, here. I have an idea as to who might be, and will get in touch with him as soon as I can. No promises. Just directions of desire to make things right.

Thank you for your replies. Whilst I do realize that we have to focus, my question is why. After all, the light photons have traveled some 90 million miles with no change, and yet two identical objects, at slightly differing distances, viewed viewed outside in the same light, requires the eye to alter focus. What is it that is different about the light photons from the separate objects; ie, why is one image sharp and the other blurred? The eye cannot know that the objects differ in distance, therefore the information received from the objects must differ. How?

If the light from a given object were received through an ideally 0 diameter aperature, then there would be no need to focus.

This is important, so i'll repeat it. As the aperature of (any) imaging device approaches zero, focusing becomes less and less necessary. (Pinhole cameras need no focus.)

But a small aperature cuts out a vast portion of the light available from an object. (pinhole cameras need a bright subject).

Our eyes have an iris that let's in light through a large rarea, thus allowing better resolution etc.

But the downside to all this extra light is that it does not all arrive at a zero angle from the object. If the lens did not change shape, most of the rays would fall in the wrong place on the retina.

So, focusing is a compromise between very sharp and very dim imaging.

An example:

If I ran around all day with my camera set on F22 (tiny aperature), I would virtually never need to focus at all. This works.

But, come evening, I'm out of luck. That tiny aperature let's in far too little light to image anything but broad daylight scenes. Now what do I do?

I widen the aperature. Lots more light come in, but I need a way to correct for the fact that the light rays are coming from a range of angles.

Last edited:
Peter Watkins said:
Thank you for your replies. Whilst I do realize that we have to focus, my question is why. After all, the light photons have traveled some 90 million miles with no change, and yet two identical objects, at slightly differing distances, viewed viewed outside in the same light, requires the eye to alter focus.

It has to do with ability of the lens to be able to focus light from the object on the retina.

1. Why is focus important in science?

Focus is important in science because it allows us to direct our attention and efforts towards a specific research question or problem. This helps us to gather relevant data, analyze it effectively, and draw meaningful conclusions.

2. How does focus help in conducting experiments?

Focus helps in conducting experiments by allowing us to carefully control and manipulate variables. This ensures that the results are accurate and reliable, which is crucial for drawing accurate conclusions and making scientific discoveries.

3. Why do we need to focus on details in scientific research?

Focusing on details is essential in scientific research because it helps us to identify patterns, trends, and relationships between variables. This attention to detail allows us to make precise observations and draw accurate conclusions.

4. How does focus impact the accuracy of scientific findings?

The level of focus in a scientific study directly impacts the accuracy of its findings. If researchers are not fully focused, they may overlook important details or make errors in data collection or analysis, leading to inaccurate results and conclusions.

5. Why is it important to maintain focus throughout the scientific process?

Maintaining focus throughout the scientific process is crucial because it ensures that the research is conducted systematically and with precision. This allows for reproducibility of results and builds upon existing knowledge in the field.