What is the pattern sequence for this brain teaser?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Conway sequence, also known as the look and say sequence, and its properties related to discrete maths, combinatorics, and graph theory. It is noted that the sequence will never contain a number larger than 3 and that strings can factor into compounds. Examples of different solutions for this sequence are also provided.
ArielGenesis

Please continue...

Physics news on Phys.org

nice ;), you have meet those i guess.

For general information,
these sequences are called conway sequence also known as look and say sequence
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LookandSaySequence.html

It is known that this sequence has many properties related to discrete maths, combinatorics and graph theory but the paper which discusses these things is not available for free :(.

-- AI

Unless I'm wrong, this sequence will never contain any number larger than 3, correct?

You will never have ...211113..., because that's really ...3113...

Edit: Ah yes. Upon further reading, I see my observation is corroborated. (Good to know!)

Last edited:
Can someone explain this, or at least give an example:

"In fact, the constant is even more general than this, applying to all starting sequences (i.e., even those starting with arbitrary starting digits), with the exception of 22, a result which follows from the cosmological theorem. Conway discovered that strings sometimes factor as a concatenation of two strings whose descendants never interfere with one another. A string with no nontrivial splittings is called an "element," and other strings are called "compounds." It is postulated that every string of 1s, 2s, and 3s that does not contain four of the same number in succession eventually "decays" into a compound of 92 special elements, named after the chemical elements."

It seems to come down to the 'factoring', which they call 'decaying'.

wouldve been harder if it were:
continue.

mapper said:
wouldve been harder if it were:
continue.
if by harder you mean less specific then yes.

is one solution

is another

so is

and one more

What are they all? (that i wrote)

i use this as i think that number 3 must come at least twice for anyone to get the pattern

1. What is a pattern sequence brain teaser?

A pattern sequence brain teaser is a type of puzzle or problem that requires the solver to identify and continue a specific pattern or sequence of elements in order to arrive at the correct solution.

2. How do you solve a pattern sequence brain teaser?

To solve a pattern sequence brain teaser, you must carefully observe the given elements and look for any patterns or sequences. Once a pattern or sequence is identified, you can use it to continue the sequence and arrive at the correct solution.

3. Are there different types of pattern sequence brain teasers?

Yes, there are many different types of pattern sequence brain teasers, including number sequences, shape sequences, letter sequences, and more. Each type requires a different approach to solving it.

4. Are pattern sequence brain teasers just for fun or do they have a purpose?

Pattern sequence brain teasers are not only for entertainment, but they also have a purpose. These puzzles can help improve critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and pattern recognition abilities.

5. Is there a specific strategy to solve pattern sequence brain teasers?

There is no one specific strategy to solve pattern sequence brain teasers, as they can vary greatly in complexity. However, some general tips include breaking the sequence into smaller parts, looking for commonalities among the elements, and using trial and error to test different possibilities.