Do gas molecules align with gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the alignment of molecular centers of gravity in a gas with the dominant source of gravity. The energy penalty of a water molecule being "upside down" is also considered, with calculations showing a small influence of gravity on orientation.
Loren Booda
In a gas, do the molecular centers of gravity align significantly toward the dominant source of gravity? E. g., do atmospheric water vapor molecules tend to have their oxygen atoms facing Earth's center?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's interesting to consider the energy penalty of a water molecule being "upside down"; that is, with the oxygen atom on top. When I multiply the mass of an oxygen molecule by the force of gravity by the difference in height between the two configurations, I get about 10-35 J. I'll leave it to you to compare that with the average rotational energy of a water molecule to determine if gravity has any considerable influence on orientation.

My initial guess is that such a molecule would have the average rotational energy of kT/2=10-35 J. So T=10-12 K, about the current limit of cryogenic technology. The influence is negligible.

1. Do gas molecules have weight?

Yes, gas molecules have weight because they have mass. The weight of a gas molecule is determined by its mass and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How does gravity affect gas molecules?

Gravity affects gas molecules by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This causes gas molecules to have a higher concentration near the surface of the Earth and a lower concentration at higher altitudes.

3. Do gas molecules align with gravity?

In a uniform gravitational field, gas molecules do not align with gravity. This is because gas molecules are in constant motion and their random movements prevent them from aligning with the direction of gravity.

4. Can gas molecules defy gravity?

No, gas molecules cannot defy gravity. However, they can appear to defy gravity in certain situations, such as when they are in a container with a lower density gas or in a low gravity environment like outer space.

5. How does temperature affect the alignment of gas molecules with gravity?

Temperature does not affect the alignment of gas molecules with gravity. However, it can affect the speed and movement of gas molecules, which in turn can affect their distribution in a gravitational field.