Degrees of freedom of diatomic gas

In summary: It's been a while since I've studied statistical mechanics, but I remember being confused about this as well. Some sources consider the motion along the bond as a separate degree of freedom, while others consider it as part of the vibrational mode. Ultimately, it may depend on the specific system and how the degrees of freedom are defined. In summary, there is confusion and inconsistency in the literature about whether the motion/velocity along the bond in a diatomic gas molecule should be considered as a separate degree of freedom or part of the vibrational mode. This leads to different values for the number of degrees of freedom in the equipartition theorem and may depend on how the degrees of freedom are defined for a specific system.
throneoo
So I'm trying to figure out the average energy of diatomic gas molecules via the equipartition theorem at high temperature (such that it's translational , rotational and vibrational modes are activated)

and to do that I need to know the degree of freedom.

some websites claim it would be 6 , 3d translational motion , 2 rotational axis and 1 vibration along the bond between the atoms.

however, some sources state that they are actually one more: the motion/velocity along the bond.

so I'm now a bit confused which version is correct. I'm inclined towards the latter as I think only by including that d.o.f. can I fully describe the configuration of the gas molecules. I would think of the original 3 translational d.o.f. as the motion of the centre of mass only, which is why we need one more to describe the motion along the bond.

Physics news on Phys.org
A system of two particles can never have more than six degrees of freedom! You can always describe the system using three spatial coordinates for each particle. The only question is whether or not there are additional constraints which lower the number of degrees of freedom.

throneoo said:
So I'm trying to figure out the average energy of diatomic gas molecules via the equipartition theorem at high temperature (such that it's translational , rotational and vibrational modes are activated)

and to do that I need to know the degree of freedom.

some websites claim it would be 6 , 3d translational motion , 2 rotational axis and 1 vibration along the bond between the atoms.

however, some sources state that they are actually one more: the motion/velocity along the bond.

so I'm now a bit confused which version is correct. I'm inclined towards the latter as I think only by including that d.o.f. can I fully describe the configuration of the gas molecules. I would think of the original 3 translational d.o.f. as the motion of the centre of mass only, which is why we need one more to describe the motion along the bond.
How would motion/velocity along the bond differ from translational motion or vibration? The rotation about the axis along the bond does not count as there is no significant moment of inertia (the mass being concentrated in the nuclei which have negligible dimension compared to distance between nuclei).

AM

The point is that the vibration counts as two degrees of freedom as far as the equipartition theorem is concerned, in the sense that the energy stored in the vibration is kT and not kT/2 as for the rotational and vibrational degrees of freedom. E.g. for a translation, the energy depends quadratically on momentum p. However in a vibration, the energy depends quadratically on both p and x, hence the doubling.

DrDu said:
The point is that the vibration counts as two degrees of freedom as far as the equipartition theorem is concerned, in the sense that the energy stored in the vibration is kT and not kT/2 as for the rotational and vibrational degrees of freedom. E.g. for a translation, the energy depends quadratically on momentum p. However in a vibration, the energy depends quadratically on both p and x, hence the doubling.
Ok. I see what you are getting at. Whether a diatomic molecule has 6 or 7 degrees of freedom depends on whether you consider the vibrational mode to have one or two degrees of freedom. Vibration is the only mode that has potential energy associated with it. I would say it has one degree of freedom but two types of energy associated with vibration for purposes of the equipartition theorem (i.e. N=7 for purposes of the equipartion theorem when all modes are activated).

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Vibration is the only mode that has potential energy associated with it. I would say it has one degree of freedom but two types of energy associated with vibration for purposes of the equipartition theorem (i.e. N=7 for purposes of the equipartion theorem when all modes are activated).

The equipartition theorem relates to the number of (relevant) degrees of freedom in phase space, not configuration space.

Orodruin said:
The equipartition theorem relates to the number of (relevant) degrees of freedom in phase space, not configuration space.
That's the problem, I don't think this is handled consistently in the literature.

What is the definition of "degrees of freedom" in a diatomic gas?

The degrees of freedom in a diatomic gas refer to the number of independent ways in which the gas molecules can move and store energy. In other words, it is the number of parameters that can vary while still maintaining the same amount of energy in the system.

How many degrees of freedom does a diatomic gas have?

A diatomic gas has a total of five degrees of freedom, as it can move in three dimensions (x, y, z) and rotate around two axes (pitch and yaw).

What is the significance of the degrees of freedom in a diatomic gas?

The degrees of freedom play a crucial role in determining the thermodynamic properties of a diatomic gas, such as its specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity. They also affect the gas's behavior under different conditions, such as changes in pressure and temperature.

How do the degrees of freedom change at different temperatures?

At low temperatures, the degrees of freedom in a diatomic gas are limited by quantum mechanics, and only three of the five degrees of freedom are available. However, as the temperature increases, all five degrees of freedom become accessible, and the gas behaves more like an ideal gas.

What is the equipartition theorem and how does it relate to degrees of freedom in a diatomic gas?

The equipartition theorem states that at thermal equilibrium, each degree of freedom in a system has an average energy of kBT/2, where kB is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. This means that a diatomic gas at a certain temperature will distribute its energy equally among its five degrees of freedom.