Issue about electrocardiogram

• Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student having trouble understanding a Two-electrode low supply voltage electrocardiogram signal amplifier assigned by their professor. The student has uploaded the assignment to a website and is asking for help and suggestions. They have also requested for the conversation to be moved to a homework forum and for the assignment to be posted as a PDF file instead. The student is having difficulty understanding the amplifier and has been advised to research precision high-impedance differential amplifiers.
electronic engineer
hello, i have this issue from our professor at uni ,and its title is:
Two-electrode low supply voltage electrocardiogram signal amplifier

so our professot asked us to do understand it in general and in details, but I nearly understand nothing (unfortunately :frown: ) even though I've tried so much...
anyway , i want you to have a look because i really need your comments and thoughts about that subject and any suggestion or help will be very appreciated!

i've uploaded it with rapidshare website.

http://rapidshare.de/files/9807790/electrocardiogram_signal_amplifier.pdf.html

thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi EE. Since this is a homework assignment, could you maybe have it moved to the HW forum? Also, I don't like the website where you posted the schematic -- it looks too much like I need to sign up or something to download the file. Can you please just post a PDF here in the PF instead? Remember, you can download a free PDF writer from PrimoPDF.com.

BTW, what is it you don't understand about the amplifier? Have you looked up precision high-impedance differential amplifiers anywhere? The diff amp (or instrumentation amp) configuration is what is usually used for ECG amps, because you need good common-mode rejection.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your issue about the electrocardiogram (ECG) signal amplifier. It is a complex topic, and it is understandable that you are struggling to understand it.

In general, an ECG signal amplifier is a device that amplifies and filters the electrical signals produced by the heart. These signals are then displayed on a monitor or recorded for further analysis. The ECG is an essential tool in diagnosing various heart conditions.

The specific topic your professor has given you, the two-electrode low supply voltage ECG signal amplifier, is a more specific type of amplifier. It is designed to work with only two electrodes attached to the patient's body and operates at a lower supply voltage, making it more energy-efficient. This type of amplifier is useful in portable or wearable ECG devices.

To understand this topic in more detail, you will need to have a basic understanding of electronics and circuit design. The document you have shared from rapidshare provides a detailed explanation of the amplifier's design and its components. I would suggest going through it slowly and breaking down each section to understand it better.

Additionally, you can try reaching out to your professor for clarification or seeking help from classmates who may have a better understanding of the topic. You can also search for online resources or tutorials that explain the basics of ECG signal amplifiers.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in understanding this topic. Remember, it is okay to ask for help and keep trying until you fully grasp the concept. Don't get discouraged, and I am sure you will get there eventually. Good luck!

1. What is an electrocardiogram (ECG) and what does it measure?

An electrocardiogram (ECG) is a test that measures the electrical activity of the heart. It records the electrical signals that travel through the heart, allowing doctors to diagnose and monitor heart conditions.

2. How is an ECG performed?

An ECG is performed by placing small, sticky electrodes on the chest, arms, and legs. These electrodes are connected to a machine that records the electrical signals from the heart. The test is painless and usually takes less than 10 minutes to complete.

3. What can an ECG diagnose?

An ECG can diagnose a wide range of heart conditions, including heart attacks, abnormal heart rhythms, and problems with the heart's structure. It can also be used to monitor the effectiveness of heart medications and treatments.

4. Are there any risks associated with an ECG?

An ECG is a safe and non-invasive test with minimal risks. The electrodes may cause mild skin irritation, but this usually goes away quickly. In rare cases, some people may experience an allergic reaction to the electrodes or the gel used to attach them.

5. Can an ECG detect all heart problems?

No, an ECG is not able to detect all heart problems. While it can detect many common heart conditions, it may not be sensitive enough to detect more complex or rare conditions. Other tests, such as echocardiograms or stress tests, may be needed for a complete evaluation of the heart.