How to make a custom UPS using an old PC power supply and 18650 batteries?

In summary, the conversation discusses the OP's plan to install a mini-UPS in their setup for their internet modem and router, using batteries from old laptop batteries. They are unsure of how to determine the required amps for each device and the potential hazards of this project. The conversation also mentions the option of using a DC UPS controller and a lead acid car battery. There is also a brief discussion about the meaning of "4s2p" and how it relates to mAh.
ghowriter
Yes, this is a question. I already converted an old PC power supply (350 Watt) to replace the bower bricks for my Internet modem and router. What I would like to do now is install a 2-3 hour mini-UPS in the mix so I can remove it from my computer's UPS.

I have spent days online scouring the web for info on this. I've learned a bit but truth be told, most posts on this topic detail how to build a router UPS but limit the output amps. My modem (Motorola MB8600) adapter outputs 12 v 2.5a and my router's is 12v 5a. This was not an issue for the PC power supply as it was a single rail with 20a available.

Most laptops batteries are 6 cell (18650) and run for between 2 to 3 hours. I assume I would use between 4 to 12 cells here. What I don't know and can't seem to find is how do I ensure the amps required by each device. I want to keep my batteries in groups of 4 because my protection circuit boards each protect 4 cells.

I understand that unless I use a DC to DC step up circuit, 4 batteries in series would provide the 12v (4x3.7=14.8) and, if my understanding is correct, the mAh would be what one battery is (my batteries are recycled from laptop batteries and I've yet to determine their capacity) which, ideally, is 24mAh but may be as low as 1350.

So I read that most laptop batteries are 6 cell and use a standard of 4s2p. I do not understand this. I know it's 4 batteries in series and 2 in parallel, but how would this configuration double the mAh?

So, there it is. Comments, hints, tips, tricks are all welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When it comes to battery powered projects (especially if you are not a battery and power supply expert), it's best to use as much off-the-shelf stuff as possible.

Consider using this DC UPS controller and maybe a good-size lead acid car battery:

https://www.powerstream.com/12V-backup.htm

1610387598928.png

Should have know someone would try to sell something rather than help. Please delete my account, I won't be returning.

Don't be silly. The 4s2p means two complete 4s batteries in parallel. So 14.8V at twice the amps. But these batteries must be treated carefully or you will create a fire.

ghowriter said:
Should have know someone would try to sell something rather than help.
LOL, yeah, I own a lot of stock in PowerStream (well, and Google, which helped me find the product).

We are trying to help you to avoid setting your house on fire, among other things.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, jim mcnamara, Rive and 2 others
ghowriter said:
but how would this configuration double the mAh

mAh for a fixed voltage is a unit of energy. Twice as many batteries in parallel, twice as much energy.

OP seems to be gone. Closed.

1. How do I choose the right PC power supply for my custom UPS?

The most important factor to consider when choosing a PC power supply for your custom UPS is the wattage. Make sure to choose a power supply that can handle the wattage of your devices and has enough spare capacity for future upgrades. It is also important to check the power supply's voltage and amperage ratings to ensure compatibility with your batteries and devices.

2. Can I use any type of 18650 batteries for my custom UPS?

No, it is important to use high-quality and reputable 18650 batteries for your custom UPS. Look for batteries with a high mAh (milliampere-hour) rating and a low internal resistance. It is also recommended to use batteries from the same brand and with the same specifications to ensure proper functioning of your UPS.

3. How do I connect the PC power supply and 18650 batteries for my custom UPS?

The first step is to disconnect the PC power supply from any devices and remove it from the computer case. Then, connect the red (positive) wire from the power supply to the positive terminal of the first battery, and the black (negative) wire to the negative terminal. Repeat this for all the batteries in your setup. Make sure to use appropriate connectors and secure all connections to avoid any potential hazards.

4. What safety precautions should I take when building a custom UPS with PC power supply and 18650 batteries?

It is important to take necessary safety precautions when building a custom UPS to avoid any potential hazards. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and wear appropriate protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. Avoid touching any live wires or components and make sure to properly insulate all connections. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.

5. How can I test the functionality of my custom UPS?

To test the functionality of your custom UPS, connect it to a device and check if it is able to power it for a significant amount of time. You can also use a multimeter to check the voltage and amperage output of your UPS. It is recommended to test your UPS periodically to ensure it is functioning properly and make any necessary adjustments or replacements if needed.