Solving the Normal Force of a 74 kg Chemistry Student on a Ferris Wheel

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, a chemistry student with a mass of 74 kg is riding a Ferris wheel and experiences a normal force of 556 N at the top of the wheel. The normal force at the bottom of the wheel's arc is unknown. Doubling the wheel's velocity would result in a negative centripetal force that is four times stronger. The equation for this scenario is still unclear.
Naeem
Hi folks,

Would appreciate any help with this problem

A chemistry student with a mass of 74 kg is riding a steadily moving Ferris wheel. When she is at the top of the Ferris wheel, the normal force from the seat on to her body has a magnitude of 556 N.

a)What is the magnitude of the normal force on her body when she is at the bottom of the Ferris wheel's arc?

I figured out the answer to this question,

But I am stuck with part B
b ) What would the normal force be on the student at the top of the wheel if the wheel's velocity were doubled?
Plz help

Thanks a million!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the force on her. You got mg pulling down, negative centripetal force trying to make her leave her seat and the resulting force is 556N downward because the normal force from the seat is 556N. doubling the velocity increases the negative centripetal force by what factor?

vsage said:
Consider the force on her. You got mg pulling down, negative centripetal force trying to make her leave her seat and the resulting force is 556N downward because the normal force from the seat is 556N. doubling the velocity increases the negative centripetal force by what factor?

I figured out that if velocity is doubled mv^2/R increases by a factor of 4.

but, how do I setup the equation.

I beg you folks to help me on how to setup the equation for the 2nd part.

Thanks,

Naeem

Finally got this one. Thanks anyway

1. What is the formula for calculating the normal force on a ferris wheel?

The formula for calculating the normal force on a ferris wheel is N = mg + ma, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

2. How do you find the mass of the chemistry student on the ferris wheel?

To find the mass of the chemistry student, you would need to know the weight of the student in kilograms. This can be determined by using a scale or converting the student's weight in pounds to kilograms using the conversion factor of 1 kg = 2.2 lbs.

3. What is the normal force experienced by the chemistry student if the ferris wheel is at the top of its rotation?

If the ferris wheel is at the top of its rotation, the normal force experienced by the chemistry student will be equal to their weight, since the centripetal acceleration is equal to zero at this point.

4. Can the normal force on a ferris wheel ever be negative?

No, the normal force on a ferris wheel can never be negative. It is always equal to the force exerted by the surface of the ferris wheel on the chemistry student, and this force is always directed perpendicular to the surface.

5. How does the normal force change as the ferris wheel rotates?

The normal force on the chemistry student will change as the ferris wheel rotates due to the changing centripetal acceleration. As the student moves from the bottom of the wheel to the top, the normal force will decrease and then increase again. At the top, it will be equal to the student's weight, and at the bottom, it will be slightly greater than the student's weight due to the added centripetal acceleration.