Drift current calculation drift verlocity not given

In summary, to calculate drift current, you can use the formula I = nAVq, where I is the current, n is the number of charged particles per unit volume, A is the cross sectional area, V is the drift velocity, q is the charge on each particle, and u*e is the electron mobility in an electric field. To find the drift velocity, you can multiply the mobility with the electric field strength.
integrash
Calculate drift current.
length of wire 1m for 10V
cross sectional area = 0.001m^2
e = 1.602 x 10^-19
ue = 3.18 x 10^-7
n = 10^23 electrons / m^3

what does ue stand for?
how do i calculate drift verlocity?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

i am using the formula

I = nAVq
where I = current
n = number of charged particles per unit volume (10^23)??
A = cross sectional area (0.001)
V = drift verlocity

drift verlocity = ue (3.18 x 10^-7) x charge dencity (charge dencity = 10^23 x 1.602 x 10^-19)

Q = charge on each particle (1.602 x 10^-19)

therefore

I = (10^23) x (0.001) x (3.18 x 10^-7 x 10^23 x 1.602 x 10^-19) x (1.602 x 10^-19)

I = 0.08161 A

or 81.61 mA

No idea if any of this is correct please help

Many thanks

Rob.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that u*e is the drift velocity in m/s where u is "mu" the electron mobility and "e" is the electric field.

Solve for I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity

1. What is drift current calculation?

Drift current calculation is a method used in physics to determine the flow of charge carriers in a material under the influence of an electric field.

2. How is drift current calculated?

To calculate drift current, you need to know the drift velocity of the charge carriers and the cross-sectional area of the material. The drift current is then determined by multiplying these values by the material's charge density.

3. What is drift velocity in drift current calculation?

Drift velocity is the average velocity of charge carriers as they move through a material under the influence of an electric field. It is an important factor in calculating drift current.

4. What if drift velocity is not given in drift current calculation?

If the drift velocity is not given, it can be calculated using other known values such as the electric field strength and the material's conductivity. Alternatively, it can also be estimated based on the material's properties and the strength of the electric field.

5. What are some real-life applications of drift current calculation?

Drift current calculation is used in various fields such as semiconductor device design, electronic circuit analysis, and materials science. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electric current in materials and devices, which is crucial in the development of new technologies.