What is the dipole moment of this surface charge distribution?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the dipole moment of a spherical shell with a surface charge density of k cosθ, where the dipole moment has a z-component given by P_z = z'. The question asks for the dipole moment of this surface charge distribution, with the ansatz being that the dipole moment is given by the integral of (R cosθ)(k cosθ)R^2 sinθ dφ dθ over the surface. There is confusion about where the factor (R cosθ) comes from and whether the dipole field or dipole moment is being asked for.
mzh
In the below figure, I'm supposed to express the z-coordinate of the point [itex]P[/itex], [itex]z'[/itex], by the angle [itex]\theta[/itex]

9007238.png

Does this work out as [itex]z' = R\cdot \cos \theta[/itex]? If so, I can't see why...

Please give me a hint on this.

Physics news on Phys.org

It pretty clearly says [itex]P_z = z'[/itex]. Where is P?

Muphrid said:
It pretty clearly says [itex]P_z = z'[/itex]. Where is P?

Sorry, [itex]P[/itex] "is" at [¡tex]P_z[/itex]. Its the z-component of the point.

If this is exactly the information you were given, then I see no way to solve the problem. [itex]z'[/itex] could be [itex]R + 1[/itex] or [itex]R+1000[/itex] and it wouldn't affect anything. Is this diagram the only information you were given, or is it constructed to match some sort of word problem?

Edit: most often, the angle is supposed to tell you the angle between the z-axis and the vector point [itex]P[/itex]. It's unusual to say [itex]P_z = z'[/itex] and then to say P lies on the z-axis.

Muphrid said:
If this is exactly the information you were given, then I see no way to solve the problem. [itex]z'[/itex] could be [itex]R + 1[/itex] or [itex]R+1000[/itex] and it wouldn't affect anything. Is this diagram the only information you were given, or is it constructed to match some sort of word problem?

Edit: most often, the angle is supposed to tell you the angle between the z-axis and the vector point [itex]P[/itex]. It's unusual to say [itex]P_z = z'[/itex] and then to say P lies on the z-axis.

yes, I'm trying to picture the problem. [itex]P[/itex] lies on the z-axis because the charge distribution is symmetric around z, and I indicated its z-component as [itex]P_z[/itex] and set it arbitrarily to [itex]z'[/itex].

It comes from Griffiths, Electrodynamics prob. 3.28a, where one is supposed to calculate the dipole moment of a surface of radius [itex]R[/itex], carrying surface charge density [itex]\sigma=k \cos \theta[/itex], the ansatz should be that [itex]\vec{p} = \int (R \cos \theta) (k \cos \theta) R^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi[/itex] but I can't figure out how to get the factor [itex](R \cos \theta)[/itex]. How do I get this factor?

Usually one computes the dipole moment at the center of a neutral charge distribution. Are you being asked for the dipole field at the point P?

This thread seems to be more about physics than the math. So I'm moving it.

Muphrid said:
Usually one computes the dipole moment at the center of a neutral charge distribution. Are you being asked for the dipole field at the point P?

the dipole moment for that matter...
apparently, by symmetry (which i do can see), the dipole moment [itex]p[/itex] only has z-component:

[itex]\vec{p} = p \hat{\vec{z}}[/itex], [itex] p=\int z \rho d\tau \rightarrow p = \int z \sigma da [/itex].

Which, considering the surface charge density i wrote previously, can be written as
[itex]p= \int (R \cos \theta) (k\cos \theta) R^2 \sin \theta d\phi d\theta[/itex]. Where does the factor [itex](R \cos \theta)[/itex] come from? It must be [itex]z[/itex], but I can't see how it relates to [itex]z[/itex].

I said specifically dipole field instead of dipole moment because the dipole moment is the same everywhere when there's no net charge in the system. So you can find the dipole moment about the origin, and that's all you need. Hence, [itex]R \cos \theta[/itex] is just the z-component of the distance from the origin to a point on the surface. You use the origin as the reference point because it's easier and because you know the dipole moment should be the same everywhere.

Still, I think you would be best served typing out the whole question. I feel very uncertain about what you're actually being asked.

Muphrid said:
I said specifically dipole field instead of dipole moment because the dipole moment is the same everywhere when there's no net charge in the system. So you can find the dipole moment about the origin, and that's all you need. Hence, [itex]R \cos \theta[/itex] is just the z-component of the distance from the origin to a point on the surface. You use the origin as the reference point because it's easier and because you know the dipole moment should be the same everywhere.

Still, I think you would be best served typing out the whole question. I feel very uncertain about what you're actually being asked.

Thanks for your comment. I'm still in the process of appreciating the subtilities of these points...

the exact wording is as:
[For a spherical shell] of radius [itex]R[/itex], which carries a surface charge [itex]\sigma = k \cos \theta[/itex], calculate the dipole moment of this surface charge distribution.

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule. It is a vector quantity with direction and magnitude, and is often represented by the symbol μ.

2. How is dipole moment calculated?

Dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge on each atom in a molecule by the distance between these charges. The direction of the dipole moment is determined by the direction of the separation of charges.

3. What is the unit of dipole moment?

The unit of dipole moment is typically measured in Debye (D), which is equal to 10^-18 esu*cm. However, some scientists may also use the SI unit of Coulomb-meter (C∙m).

4. What factors affect the dipole moment of a molecule?

The dipole moment of a molecule is affected by the electronegativity difference between atoms, the shape of the molecule, and the bond angles between atoms. Additionally, the presence of lone pairs of electrons can also influence the dipole moment.

5. Why is dipole moment important in chemistry?

Dipole moment plays an important role in determining the polarity of a molecule. This can affect the molecule's physical properties, such as boiling and melting points, as well as its reactivity and interactions with other molecules. It is also used in various analytical techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy, to identify and characterize molecules.