Exact electrostatic potential of a pure dipole using multipole expansion

In summary, if a point charge is not at the origin, then its multipole moment does not stay the same when the coordinate system is shifted.
Ahmed1029
TL;DR Summary
I'm confused when reading Griffiths electrodynamics as he says the mutlipole expansion of a pure dopole is exactly the dipole term everywhere in space, but I'm not sure if this is just true when the point dipole is at the origin of coordinatea or it could be anywhere.
If I have a physical dipole with dipole moment p. Now, this formula for potential (V) is a good approximation when r is much larger than both r1 and r2 in the picture below. It's however said that for a pure dipole for which the separation between charges goes to zero and q goes to infinity, the dipole potential given by V is exact, and here comes my problem : Is it only exact when r is larger than both r1 and r2? or can I find the potential for all points in space except the location of the point dipole? Is it exact for all points in space only when the location of the dipole is at the origin?I'll be glad if someone tries to help!
16519805157073617840976130917751.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF @Ahmed1029.

The dipole approximation is valid when ##r>>|\vec r_2-\vec r_1|.##

Likes Ahmed1029
kuruman said:
Welcome to PF @Ahmed1029.

The dipole approximation is valid when ##r>>|\vec r_2-\vec r_1|.##
Thanks you! I'm however still confused since there is no apparent restriction on r1 and r2, so they can themselves be very far. So my question is, when those two tiny chunks of charge are squeezed together at one point and I want to calculate the potential in space, does this one point have to be the origin for this formula to be exactly true and not just an approximation? Or it could be anywhere?

Point dipoles, like point charges, arise from Quantum excitations and their potential is exact, just like that of a point charge.

Likes vanhees71 and Ahmed1029
Ahmed1029 said:
Thanks you! I'm however still confused since there is no apparent restriction on r1 and r2, so they can themselves be very far. So my question is, when those two tiny chunks of charge are squeezed together at one point and I want to calculate the potential in space, does this one point have to be the origin for this formula to be exactly true and not just an approximation? Or it could be anywhere?
Yes, there is no restrictions to ##\vec r_1## and ##\vec r_2##, but once you choose them, the distance between them, ##d=| \vec r_1-\vec r_2|##, is fixed. Now imagine a sphere of diameter ##d##. The dipole approximation is valid at points ##r## from the center of the sphere such that ##r>>d##. The dipole potential is ##V=\dfrac{k\vec p\cdot \vec r}{r^2}## where the dipole is assumed to be at the origin. If you want the origin to be somewhere else such that the dipole is at ##\vec r_d## relative to it, the dipole potential must be written as ##V=\dfrac{k~\vec p\cdot (\vec r-\vec r_d)}{|\vec r-\vec r_d|^2}##. In either case the distance between the charges must be much much smaller than the distance from either charge to the point of interest for the dipole approximation to be valid.

Likes vanhees71 and Ahmed1029
Oh cool! Just to make sure, when the origin is away from the dipole and I want to calculate the dipole potential using only the position vector r, not (r-rd), I need to include the other multipole terms and not just the dipole term in case of a pure dipole right?

In my 4th edition of Griffiths, the following passage may help
3.4.3 Origin of Coordinates in Multipole Expansions

I mentioned earlier that a point charge at the origin constitutes a "pure" monopole.
If it is not at the origin, it's no longer a pure monopole.
So moving the origin (or, what amounts to the same thing, moving the charge)
can radically alter a multipole expansion. The monopole moment Q does not
change, since the total charge is obviously independent of the coordinate system.
Ordinarily, the dipole moment does change when you shift the origin, but there is an important exception:
If the total charge is zero, then the dipole moment is independent of the choice of origin.

Likes Ahmed1029

1. What is the concept of multipole expansion in electrostatics?

In electrostatics, multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to express the electrostatic potential of a system as a sum of terms, each representing the contribution of different types of charges (monopole, dipole, quadrupole, etc.) to the overall potential. This allows for a more precise calculation of the potential, especially for systems with complex charge distributions.

2. How does a pure dipole contribute to the electrostatic potential?

A pure dipole, also known as an electric dipole, is a system consisting of two equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. In multipole expansion, a pure dipole contributes to the electrostatic potential through its dipole moment, which is the product of the charge magnitude and the distance between the charges. The potential contribution of a pure dipole decreases with distance, following an inverse square law.

3. What is the exact electrostatic potential of a pure dipole using multipole expansion?

The exact electrostatic potential of a pure dipole using multipole expansion can be expressed as V = (1/4πε0) (p⋅r)/r3, where V is the potential, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, p is the dipole moment, and r is the distance from the dipole to the point where the potential is being calculated.

4. Can multipole expansion be used for systems with non-uniform charge distributions?

Yes, multipole expansion can be used for systems with non-uniform charge distributions. In these cases, the potential can be expressed as a sum of terms representing the contribution of each type of charge distribution, such as monopole, dipole, and higher-order multipoles. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the potential compared to using only the monopole term.

5. What are the limitations of using multipole expansion for calculating electrostatic potential?

The main limitation of using multipole expansion for calculating electrostatic potential is that it assumes the system is static and does not take into account the effects of time-varying fields. It also becomes less accurate for systems with non-spherical charge distributions or when the distance from the charges is large compared to the size of the system. In these cases, other techniques, such as numerical methods, may be more suitable for calculating the potential.