Solutions to Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation

In summary: The best analogy I have found is that of standing waves. Think about a big open piece of air--waves of any frequency at all can propagate through it (continuous solutions). However, if you put the air in a pipe with caps at the ends, resonance phenomena force the allowable spectrum of waves to a specific set of discrete pitches--the harmonic series. To get technical, the differential equation that describes wave propagation gets boundary conditions imposed on it, which force the solutions to take on a discrete set of forms, whereas a system with no boundary conditions can have a continuous infinity of solutions. The same thing happens in the quantum case, the only difference is that the differential equation in question is now the Schrodinger Equation.
Positron137
I am reading David Griffiths' book on Quantum Mechanics, and he usually says that the general solution to the TDSE, given a potential V, can a DISCRETE linear combinations of the wavefunction solutions. However, in one section, he says that the linear discrete sum can be regarded as a continuous sum over continuous values of k, the wavenumber. Making a continuous transforms the discrete linear combination into an integral over all continuous values of k from negative to positive infinity, of all possible wavefunctions corresponding to the Hamiltonian provided? Why can't the linear combination be discrete instead of continuous? This is on page 46 of his book. What I don't understand, is why does he write it as an integral, and then proceed to use Fourier's trick, etc..? Why doesn't he keep it as a discrete sum, as is the usual idea with the "discrete linear combination of solutions"? Thanks. Sorry if the beginning is a bit confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bound states (infinite square well, simple harmonic oscillator, etc.) have a discrete energy or momentum spectrum. The general solution is a linear combination (weighted sum) of eigenstates.

Unbound states (free particle, finite square well with E greater than the "top" of the well, potential barrier, etc.) have a continuous energy or momentum spectrum. The general solution is a Fourier-type integral.

Ah ok. By the way, even thought I'm reading the book, I don't completely understand why bound states have discrete energy, and why unbound states have continuous energy (I'm a junior in high school, so it's understandable that I won't comprehend everything :P). Could you explain to me why that is? Thanks.

Positron137 said:
Ah ok. By the way, even thought I'm reading the book, I don't completely understand why bound states have discrete energy, and why unbound states have continuous energy (I'm a junior in high school, so it's understandable that I won't comprehend everything :P). Could you explain to me why that is? Thanks.

The best analogy I have found is that of standing waves. Think about a big open piece of air--waves of any frequency at all can propagate through it (continuous solutions). However, if you put the air in a pipe with caps at the ends, resonance phenomena force the allowable spectrum of waves to a specific set of discrete pitches--the harmonic series. To get technical, the differential equation that describes wave propagation gets boundary conditions imposed on it, which force the solutions to take on a discrete set of forms, whereas a system with no boundary conditions can have a continuous infinity of solutions. The same thing happens in the quantum case, the only difference is that the differential equation in question is now the Schrodinger Equation.

Ah ok. So because the infinite 1-D potential well has those boundary conditions (also the SHM), the general wavefunction is a discrete linear combination. But for free particles, there is no boundary solution, so its quantum states form a continuous (integral) wavefunction solution. Ok thanks! I understand it now :)

What is the Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe how a quantum state changes over time. It is a fundamental equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems and is essential for understanding the dynamics of quantum particles.

What is the significance of the Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems over time. By solving this equation, we can determine the probability of a particle being in a particular state at a given time. This is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

What are the main components of the Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation is made up of two main components: the Hamiltonian operator and the wave function. The Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of the system, and the wave function represents the quantum state of the system. These components are combined in the equation to describe how the state of the system changes over time.

How is the Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation solved?

There are several methods for solving the Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation, depending on the specific system being studied. One common approach is to use numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. Another approach is to use analytical methods, which involve finding exact solutions to the equation for specific systems.

What are some applications of the Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger Equation has many applications in quantum mechanics, including calculating the energy levels and wave functions of atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of quantum particles in various physical systems, and understanding the dynamics of chemical reactions. It is also used in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.