Discrete K-G eq. solutions - problem with integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Hamiltonian of a scalar field in Klaubers QFT book. The derivation involves dealing with integrals of the form $\int\dot{\phi}\dot{\phi}^\dagger d^3x$, which can be simplified using discrete plane-wave solutions. However, when plugging these solutions in, the resulting integrals such as $\int e^{2ikx}d^3x$ are said to be zero due to the finite domain and boundary conditions. The link provided further explains that the values of k are determined by the condition that an integral number of wavelengths fits into the volume. After some clarification and realization, it is understood that this integral is zero for the same
weirdoguy
I'm reading Klaubers QFT book and I stuck with his derivation of Hamiltonian of scalar field on page 53. To derive it one needs to deal with integrals like this: $$\int\dot{\phi}\dot{\phi}^\dagger d^3x$$ He is using discrete plane-wave solutions and after plugging them in, we end up with integrals such as this one:
$$\int e^{2ikx}d^3x$$
It is said in his book, and also here:
https://physicspages.com/pdf/Klauber%20QFT/Klauber%20Problems%2003.08.pdf
that since we are integrating over finite domain and because of the boundary conditions, this integral is zero. And this is the thing that I don't understand. Also in the link above there is another comment about this boundary conditions:
In this case, we’re dealing with discrete solutions over a finite volume V , such that the values of k are determined by the condition that an integral number of wavelengths fits into V.
I've done this calculation with continuous solutions and I had no problems with that, but I really don't understand these boundary conditions and how they relate to this integral being zero. Thanks for any help :smile:

EDIT:
Ok, I went to the shop and I got enlightened xD So it's zero for the same reason $$\int_0^{2k\pi}\sin x dx$$ is zero for integer k.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, can be deleted :)

1. What is a Discrete K-G eq.?

A Discrete K-G eq. refers to the discrete form of the Klein-Gordon equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles. It is used in the field of quantum mechanics to model the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. What does the term "integral" refer to in this context?

In this context, "integral" refers to the mathematical concept of integration, which is used to calculate the area under a curve. In the Discrete K-G eq., the integral is used to solve for the wave function of a particle at a specific point in time and space.

3. What is the main problem with solving Discrete K-G eq. using integrals?

The main problem with using integrals to solve the Discrete K-G eq. is that it can be computationally expensive and time-consuming. This is because the integral must be evaluated at every point in space and time, which can be a large number of calculations.

4. Are there any alternative methods for solving Discrete K-G eq.?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving Discrete K-G eq. One popular method is using numerical techniques, such as finite difference methods, which approximate the integral using a discrete set of points. Another method is using Green's function, which is a mathematical tool that can simplify the integral calculation.

5. How are solutions to Discrete K-G eq. used in scientific research?

Solutions to Discrete K-G eq. are used in a variety of scientific research, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. They can help scientists understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and make predictions about their behavior. Solutions to this equation have also been used in fields such as cosmology and condensed matter physics.